Profile idea

Ideas and suggestions that have been reviewed by staff and will not be implemented.
Nanashi

Profile idea

Post by Nanashi »

Just a little Idea I just got...

How about adding "languages" to the profile, so you will know in which languages you can write a PM to an user etc without having to ask everytime or stalk out the posts?
I know, there is location already, but ppl often speak languages of countries where they dont live atm, or are reluctant to tell other useres where they are from^^
Click My Eggs or the mighty Cthulhu will eat chu <33

[ q u i t ]
[ c o l l e c t i n g : - ]
Setofant

Re: Profile idea

Post by Setofant »

Well... kinda pointless since this is an English site and everybody here theoratically can speak English (I know some don't but they just fail I guess... signing up on an English site without knowing the language).

But, well, doesn't hurt to implement it either, so why not.
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

I like the idea :)
Of course it's an english site and you speak english most of the time posting here, but for PMs I think it's okay to know which language others speak.
I had many conversations in which we were both trying to do the best we could to make clear what we wanted to say although our english wasn't the best - just to find out after about 15 PMs that we BOTH speak german :D
gizmo00999

Post by gizmo00999 »

Cyrrior wrote:I like the idea :)
Of course it's an english site and you speak english most of the time posting here, but for PMs I think it's okay to know which language others speak.
I had many conversations in which we were both trying to do the best we could to make clear what we wanted to say although our english wasn't the best - just to find out after about 15 PMs that we BOTH speak german :D
I double this.
Adoptable
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

I don't see any problem in talking English, even if both users are speaking the same native language..

Ah, but this idea.. Ever looked closely at the profile of others?
I doubt it and I don't think it would change much, if adding this kind of option.
But I don't see any problem in adding it either.

I am just afraif that most user will tend to speak in their native language then. PMs are not that importatn, since they are private.
But I am getting a lot of PMs with "Oh, I know you can talk in German, so I am writing this in German..." and I am afraid I will get more, if everybody knows, which language I can speak.

Well, that's just my personal problem. But I guess you can understand, right?
If adding such option, I will not wirte anything in the text field..
Just to my mind, though.
stefanol
soul supreme+

Post by stefanol »

It could be a good idea - if the selecting of language was required (which won't happen). Otherwise, you will have the exact same situation as with "location" profile field - where only 790 users of 11585 have it set.
ImageAdoptable
Tazgirl18992
Location: I'm a ninja. If I told you, I would have to kill you.. Nothing personal. Just business.

Post by Tazgirl18992 »

Yes I think this idea would be useful. Because I put the german pokemon names next to the english ones in my trading thread in the gts forum, I have gotten a couple of pm's in german, and I'm afraid I don't speak it.

(should have taken german instead of japanese in school! :) )
Spoiler for Clicks:
Please click everything in box1! Return clicks, Pm me!
The Phione will lead you to my box.
Trade Box 5/6
Random Family:
Spoiler:
Collecting gligars!
ImageImage
Sprite by Airelesanya from Vdexproject.net
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

well, but as Nanashi already said, there are some users speaking several languages.. and you can't see that just because of the location :O
And I am one of those who don't have the location field set.. but I would write which languages I speak.. (don't know why.. I just feel like not telling everybody were I live, while I haven't any problem with telling which languages I speak ... weird, I know XD)
Papilusion
Daydreamer

Post by Papilusion »

I'm both for and againt... It's an english site, and a lot of people say: "I don't speak english very well." So using english will help improving their english. But... If people can't understand them anyway, it would be easier if they could just use their native language.

I would probably get confused if someone wrote to me in norwegian in an enlish forum. XD Or german or whatever language I may have learned. (and forgotten because of lack of use...)
Adoptable
AnnieGYG

Post by AnnieGYG »

I think it's a really good idea, I've had a few PM's in languages I don't understand.

But like Stefanol says, people don't use the 'location' feature so theres no reason they would use this feature either unfortunatly.
OFFLINE - MOVING HOUSE - BRB 6-8 WEEKS
blue4nic
Vollzeitmama

Post by blue4nic »

brings out thread

I like the idea also, that one looks the same where one cometh and whether the person English, German or whatever language one speaks for. unfortunately the only option location filled in profile rare. and when it is filled times, then often is any fictional place in it.

so my idea: you could not in the forum profile disclosures supplement languages​​? here then any user could write in the languages ​​he speaks.

when I write a pm, I look first to the forum profile, if there is no location, then I look whether he has any posted something in German. if I could not find anything, then I try the person you would like to do with my school English course, what I want from him. I know, only when I use English, then it is even better. but sometimes it is very frustrating when you have a few minutes spent his bear to write in another language and then you get an answer in his native tongue.

is it maybe feasible for the future, if you joined above that some fields are mandatory fields?
I collect all Evolutions of this:
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable