Dev Diary 2023-03-07

Every announcement regarding Virtuadopt main site, or forums will come here.
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

Dev Diary 2023-03-07

Post by yankeesrule3526 »

Once a quarter, the dev team looks back to where we have come from since the last diary. We also look forward to future, talking about what's coming.

What's changed
In January, we saw a couple features return. The Hoenn region became available again, introducing new evolution and breeding mechanics. The Match game also returned and introduced card packs, allowing the player to set the difficulty. We plan to use special card packs for holidays and events throughout the year. If you have ideas for themes you would like to see, be sure to post your ideas on the Suggestions board.

Love was in the air during the Valentine's event in February. This event introduced a new mechanic to the Slot Machine where you only received 1 type of promo and had to trade with other user's for the other type. This seemed to be well received and will likely return in the future.

A small patch was recently released. A link to donate to Virtuadopt via Ko-fi was added to the bottom of all pages. The 24 hour cooldown when creating a PC box was removed. The Recent Winners list in the Raffle now shows what the prize was. There were also a couple small fixes made to various systems.

The future
We have a couple surprises planned for Virtuadopt's 14th birthday next month, so make sure you visit on April 1st! :twisted:
Shortly after that, Easter will be upon us. Be on the lookout for lots of fun promos to be released!

---------

Mini games are still a work in progress. Another game will be returning soon, with its own Virtuadopt 2.0 spin. Can you guess what it is? We are also in the early stages of creating a new mini game that may appear over the summer.

---------

Saving the best for last, Tango and I are still hard at work upgrading the look of Virtuadopt. We've teased small snippets of the site over the last few months, but today we are excited to show you a full, completed page. Let's jump right into it, here is how the new Daycare Center currently looks.
Spoiler:
Awesome, right? While some parts of the site are very much subject to change, lets talk about what you are seeing. For starters, it still has that Virtuadopt look, with the header and sidebar navigation looking familiar but have a modern, polished look applied.

Moving into the Daycare content, we see the redesigned deposit form, which now opens up a dialog box to deposit money into the Daycare. Below that, we see the breeding message for how likely a pair is to create an egg. There is also a new (?) icon that will appear on most pages. Clicking this will open a dialog box that explains tells you almost everything you need to know about the page, like what it does and how it works. Next we see the adoptables currently in the Daycare. The compatibility bar has been redesigned. The next big change is the incubator. The Daycare Center will now hold up to 3 eggs for you. Currently, there is not a way to name these eggs, but clicking the Pick Up button will automatically empty out all the eggs in the incubator and deposit them into your box in a single click.
AcryliCat UwU

Re: Dev Diary 2023-03-07

Post by AcryliCat UwU »

Awesome updates and very excited for what is to come :)
Syiren

Post by Syiren »

ngl, that new design looks nice. Also, is that 3 eggs we can stack? All of the yes. ALL OF IT.
Spoiler:
Name: Mewsic
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
BAS90

Post by BAS90 »

Looking forward to all the new things to come!
Saiura

Post by Saiura »

I´m very excited to see whatever comes in the future. Thank you for keeping us updated
Collections
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable AdoptableAdoptable
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

That looks interesting! I like the idea of the incubator and having a little explanation here and there will be really usefull for new users.
Thinking of mini games that could return ... I just can think of those stone fragment puzzles (I can't remember if they had a specific name) and crops! I really liked that one. Whatever it might be, I'm looking forward to that VA 2.0 spin!
Phantom Thief

Post by Phantom Thief »

Wait wait wait wait... The 24 hours limit for boxes was removed ?!? Omg how did I miss that ? I was still waiting like an idiot >.<

For the new look, very interesting seeing it, but... it's missing something. And by looking at it and thinking, I realised what I feel is missing is the lil flower-like pattern of the background. It's subtle, but not seeing it in the new look makes my brain feel that the page is "empty" :')
Tho, the incubator is a very welcome addition to the daycare. And the fact we'll be able to keep 3 eggs is even better. Yeah, some may feel it could have been more, but it could have been non-existent too ! I'll not be picky, just having this incubator with 3 eggs I'm all for it ! :D

For the mini-games, my bet is on the meowth guessing number coming back ? But I also hope seeing puzzles again one day :'3
Very curious to see what will be the new one you're preparing !

EDIT : Thinking of something about the lil explanations that will be added for pages (which will be great for new players !)... Will there be something like this for pokemon evolution ? Like, a small hint, to give you an idea what you may do to evolve it ? Or even change its form ! I wouldn't even be against it to cost a fee to know the hint tbh, as long as it can help evolve/change a pokemon that you have no idea how to do so but at the same time don't want (or too afraid) to ask to others
I'm not english nor bilingual, so expect mistakes/misunderstanding
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Dawndancer

Post by Dawndancer »

thank you for everything you do
Tango

Post by Tango »

The repeating flower background pattern is not missing from the new design; it's there exactly as it is now just a slightly different color :3 If you click on the sample image to see it at a larger view you can see it there, and may notice it actually bleeds a little into the background of the main content area ^^ So there's actually more pattern visible on the new design than you see on current VA.

Regarding evolutions, the Items Official Guide is still pretty much accurate. Some minor changes like on Castform, but any differences from previous VA and you will probably have heard the community mentioning it. Of course, if it was only on Discord that knowledge will be hard to find so always encourage those sort of things making it onto the forum so future inquiries can find old answers ;D

Otherwise, VA pretty much follows canon evolution methods. So any bulbapedia, pokemondb.net, serebii.net, or other canon wiki sources are useful in finding out evolution paths.

Not saying VA itself would never have any evo helper material, but these are all accessible right now so hope they help! :3
Tango's Trade Station
═══════»«═══════
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable
═══════»«═══════
Phantom Thief

Post by Phantom Thief »

Tango wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:31 pm The repeating flower background pattern is not missing from the new design; it's there exactly as it is now just a slightly different color :3 If you click on the sample image to see it at a larger view you can see it there, and may notice it actually bleeds a little into the background of the main content area ^^ So there's actually more pattern visible on the new design than you see on current VA.
Oh ! You're right, now I can see it ! Was a little hard to see it, but yeah, after zooming, I could see the flower pattern ^^
My eyes are hurting a little currently so maybe that's why I couldn't see it at first, it's hard to focus
I'm not english nor bilingual, so expect mistakes/misunderstanding
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Syiren

Post by Syiren »

Phantom Thief wrote: March 8th, 2023, 11:08 am Wait wait wait wait... The 24 hours limit for boxes was removed ?!? Omg how did I miss that ? I was still waiting like an idiot >.<
You're not an idiot. I missed it too. That's def. a nice quality of life change. I spend far more than $5K in the raffle than I would making boxes. lol xD
Spoiler:
Name: Mewsic
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage