Make an announcement thread to compile every time an adopt's acquisition mechanic method changes

Old suggestions that have not proven popular or are otherwise no longer relevant.
FairyPrincessCynthia

Make an announcement thread to compile every time an adopt's acquisition mechanic method changes

Post by FairyPrincessCynthia »

Exactly what it says on the tin. If you're gonna change the way an adopt behaves, like Shedinja and Castform, we need to be informed about it. It's only fair so that we have an opportunity to take preventative measures to avoid an outcome that cannot be reversed, like accidentally evolving/form-changing a shiny. Or engaging in behavior that is no longer necessary, such as the way we handle our Nincada.

I have at least 4 types of adopts that you can start a thread with:
1: Explain how Castform works now.
2: Explain how Shedinja is obtained now.
3: Explain how Baby Pokemon evolve.
4: Explain any breeding changes regarding previously unbreedable Pokemon.
Spoiler for more adopts inside:
AdoptableAdoptable AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Praise be to fairy types.
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Re: Make an announcement thread to compile every time an adopt's acquisition mechanic method changes

Post by UkeSora »

I don’t know whether an actual announcement is necessary.. since the Dex hints are currently missing, something like a Dex guide would be more helpful since it could get expanded over time and wouldn’t get lost in announcement threads.

However, Hoenn hasn’t been available for your long, it’s a new generation on a new system, so it’s new for all of us, except for the coders.

We can all figure out stuff together and then collect the information in a guide.
FairyPrincessCynthia

Re: Make an announcement thread to compile every time an adopt's acquisition mechanic method changes

We currently have at least 2 unhappy people with unwanted Shiny Castform types because of the Castform shadow-change, which is exactly the kind of thing a mechanics changelog thread would help prevent from occurring.
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

viewtopic.php?t=24264

We have this announcement thread you speak of. It even states that there are new evolution mechanics..

It really sucks for these two people with unwanted evolved Castforms, yes, I agree.

It could be listed on future Dev diary entries, maybe? Additional notes would help.

Or simply create an evolution guide.
Maybe some smart people can figure out a way to make it obvious that some Pokémon have new ways to evolve now.

Honestly speaking, even we mods aren’t aware of how some Mons evolve now. 😅 We don’t withhold information or something like that lol.
Hence it didn’t really cross our minds to collect that specific information you seek for a thread. We still need to collect necessary evolution info to collect that in a thread.
For that I apologize.
I can’t even remember how it evolved back then? By weather and level? Using stones and weather?

Maybe it’s easier to cease thinking of the old ways of evolving and simply welcome a new generation to figure out how all Adopts evolve now.
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

UkeSora wrote: January 21st, 2023, 10:59 am Maybe it’s easier to cease thinking of the old ways of evolving and simply welcome a new generation to figure out how all Adopts evolve now.
This!

Forget old VA and how it worked, and think about VA 2.0 more as a "new" game with lots of changes that the community has to figure out anew. Of course, a lot of mechanics are still the same, but I wouldn't call the changes that are made "shadow-changes", because they are made with new things that get added, and not things that alter already existing mechanics. Castform didn't exist prior to the Hoenn release on VA 2.0, so there was no mechanic connected to it.

Even the official games don't tell you everything right away and leave stuff for the community to figure out, e.g. Galarian Yamask, Inkay, Milcery and other weird evolutions. And it's not the Devs who write the guides on how to get these, but the community.
VA always has been a community-focused game, with the forum (and now also the Discord) as a great way for the playerbase to share their findings. Not everything has to be handed to us on a silver platter.

I'm all for more communication, but I think that some things should be left a mystery for the community to figure out. Some things through trial and error, and others by working together. At the start of a new generation, everyone is on the same page with their knowledge. We have users old and new coming together, and in some cases the old users have an advantage because they were here earlier and know how things worked. But if things get shaken up, new users might have the advantage because they aren't deadlocked on this old knowledge.
Last edited by KitsuLeif on January 21st, 2023, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SchokoKitsune

Post by SchokoKitsune »

KitsuLeif wrote: January 21st, 2023, 12:07 pm Even the official games don't tell you everything right away and leave stuff for the community to figure out,
But the big, big differnce is: In the games, I can stop an evolution, or even reload a savestate prior to evolving my pokemon if I don't like the evolution. We can't do that on VA, and especially with Adopts that used to evolve differently on the old version of the site, it just feels unfair that you can't change your adopt back if you unwillingly made the mistake of it evolving because the evolving-mechanic is different now.

A one-time-use per user per adopt de-evolution spray to change up mistakes like this would be nice. Especially with the Castform, it could always accidently evolve right after hatching. <_<

Of course we now know that, just to be safe, you should always put everstones on mons you do not yet want to evolve... but that doesn't help people that accidently evolved (shiny) castforms or migrated baby mons etc.
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

SchokoKitsune wrote: January 21st, 2023, 12:38 pm
A one-time-use per user per adopt de-evolution spray to change up mistakes like this would be nice. Especially with the Castform, it could always accidently evolve right after hatching.
So how does it work now? How did it work back then exactly?
SchokoKitsune

Post by SchokoKitsune »

As far as we know, now it only needs a level up and will then evolve into the form depending on the weather that's active at the explore map. If there's a minimum level that needs to be met so it evolves isn't known (to me). Before, it seemed to need an evolution stone that matches the active weather, so you had to actively use an item to evolve versus the passive way of a simple level up it is now.
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

Thanks! I’ll try to set up a evolution guide next week with infos known to me for current evolutions, so please let me know what you think should be listed asap.
I can imagine Kecleon (for breeding purposes) and Spinda might be interesting to add, maybe Wurmple too, although I don’t know how it’s working now, if it has changed.
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

I think, Castform needs more than just one level up, probably the same range as other adopts with one evolution.
FairyPrincessCynthia

I found out there are people who don't even know about the Dev Diary threads because they don't go to the Forum tab at all. I bet posting them (or a link to them) in the Main tab would be beneficial.