Limited tickets for Raffle

Ideas and suggestions that have been acted upon and implemented.
Pheria

Limited tickets for Raffle

Post by Pheria »

Hey there!

I don't man to be a party pooper, but I find it extremely hard for casual players to win raffle prizes...
The most tickets I can afford at once are usually 100-300 and currently even those aren't nearly enough to win a raffle, with partially thousands of tickets in the pot and usually the winners are always the same people.

I was wondering if there was a chance to limit the raffle tickets, so there will be fair chances for everyone. It's mostly impossible to get those promos via trade and it's super frustrating not being able to compete with others in this raffle.

This is just an honest suggestion - I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one getting frustrated with the raffle :? Alternatively, I accept money making tips because even with 20k clicks a day I can't afford thousands of tickets on the raffle :D
If you feel like you're going to crash...
AdoptableAdoptable
...a c c e l
e r a t e !

Re: Limited tickets for Raffle

Post by MrQuaza »

Pheria wrote: January 12th, 2023, 12:56 pm Hey there!

I don't man to be a party pooper, but I find it extremely hard for casual players to win raffle prizes...
The most tickets I can afford at once are usually 100-300 and currently even those aren't nearly enough to win a raffle, with partially thousands of tickets in the pot and usually the winners are always the same people.

I was wondering if there was a chance to limit the raffle tickets, so there will be fair chances for everyone. It's mostly impossible to get those promos via trade and it's super frustrating not being able to compete with others in this raffle.

This is just an honest suggestion - I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one getting frustrated with the raffle :? Alternatively, I accept money making tips because even with 20k clicks a day I can't afford thousands of tickets on the raffle :D
I have the same problem with Raffles tbh, I am not sure if it's possible to code but maybe tickets can be limited once a person wins like 10(?) times a month(?).

The only moneymaking tip I can think of is clicking hard on Tuesdays since it is the double money day. :D
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
SchokoKitsune

Post by SchokoKitsune »

Yes, please. Anything to make the raffle more fair would be greatly appreciated.

I've opened up a similar topic to this back in August: viewtopic.php?t=24093
But at that point, the biggest problem was grabbing a shiny as a regular player. Nowadays, getting anything is a challenge, especially with the long timers in between raffles, and the playerbase assumingly growing...

There's been lots of suggestions by different people, both on the Forums and on the Discord, and literally any of them would work (ofc, just talking about personal opinion - no idea about backend possibilities here).
Just.. something to even out the odds, please.

I've seen Pharia's idea of limiting the amount of tickets one can buy somewhere before, and I like that. I've seen a demand for shorter Raffle Timers, to spread them more evenly throughout the day/timezones, ideally together with a longer winner-list that would prevent you from re-entering too fast. I've seen the suggestion to be able to only win a certain number of Adopts per Raffle-Set, which would in the current case probably translate to being able to win one of each Ice/Snow-Mon, and maybe one or two extras total, aka 6 Promos if there's 4 available, and we could add a slot per Shiny available if we ever get Shiny Raffle Mons again.
FairyPrincessCynthia

Post by FairyPrincessCynthia »

I've been suggesting a raffle ticket cap for years. Ever since the Sheriff Keldeo DISASTER where ticket quantities for them were regularly in the range of previously-unheard-of ticket quantities - and one unspecified former staff member decided to interfere and buy as many as they could. For some reason, these winter adopts are somehow WORSE, with Snow Ditto recently bringing a total of 22,000 tickets.

I have a life, you know. I don't wanna spend all of my free time trying to keep up with someone who's turned clicking on adopts into a full time job.
Spoiler for more adopts inside:
AdoptableAdoptable AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Praise be to fairy types.
Syiren

Post by Syiren »

I support this too. I'd like to consider myself somewhere in the in-between range of players. I'm more than casual, but not as hardcore as others, and I also struggle to enter tickets in the raffles. I'm still trying for a Snow ditto, but even when I dropped 2,000 tickets the other day that only got me around 17% chance? And that chance dropped quickly once more tickets flooded in. I don't even bother entering for the other three because I already have one of each, and with the struggle as it is, I don't need to add to it, and I feel guilty for wanting an extra Ice Steelix or Solrock.

I know the raffle is also seen as a money drain for the more wealthy on the site, but it hurts the casual players more. I feel like the raffle could be a bit more balanced with a limit. That happens in real life with raffle events. People can purchase up to a certain amount of tickets for a chance to win a prize. My Dad did that to try and win a Motorcycle at a car show once. He didn't win, but the rules said participants could enter up to I think it was 5 tickets to purchase for it, and each entry was about $20. My dad only bought two, but still.
Spoiler:
ImageAdoptableImage
Yoshiki
Total in Love with derBhaal

Post by Yoshiki »

Raffle should stay as a money sink. In my opinion it would be better to limit the VA you can win to 1 or 2 (if Shiny available) of one kind per user. Because with each raffle the participants will be reduced, this way also casual players would be able to get a prize. Everyone who wants a prize at the beginning of a new raffle can throw in money and others just wait or try for it as well.
The raffle ends (time to change for another prize) when nobody (no more participants) buys a ticket anymore (4 rounds in a row = 24 hours). :lol:
❤️ Sharing IP every day with my husband derBhaal . ❤️Image❤️
❤️
Adoptable❤️Adoptable❤️Adoptable❤️Adoptable❤️
Pheria

Post by Pheria »

I'm so glad I'm not the only one struggling with the raffle! Quite frankly, I remember this already being an issue back when I joined - now that the site relaunched and 10 years have passed... I'm practically begging for a change.
FairyPrincessCynthia wrote: January 12th, 2023, 7:11 pm For some reason, these winter adopts are somehow WORSE, with Snow Ditto recently bringing a total of 22,000 tickets.
For some reason, I have none of the raffle prizes except for the Snow Ditto, which is close to a miracle because my winning chance was at 0.2% back then. Yes, I agree, it's BAD.
Yoshiki wrote: January 12th, 2023, 9:41 pm Raffle should stay as a money sink. In my opinion it would be better to limit the VA you can win to 1 or 2 (if Shiny available) of one kind per user. Because with each raffle the participants will be reduced, this way also casual players would be able to get a prize. Everyone who wants a prize at the beginning of a new raffle can throw in money and others just wait or try for it as well.
The raffle ends (time to change for another prize) when nobody (no more participants) buys a ticket anymore (4 rounds in a row = 24 hours). :lol:
I'm fine with this as well, anything that helps casual players and those who can't be as active as full-time players to get a chance at the raffle prizes. Especially with the long time periods between raffles. I'd say if the raffles are timely limited (which currently is the case as prizes are frequently refreshed) maybe allow 1 win per price per week or so...
AdoptableAdoptable
...a c c e l
e r a t e !

Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

Yeah, we talked about that in the regional corner aswell.
I'd say even limiting it to 1 ticket per person would be kind of cool. But I also understand that people want to buy several tickets to increase their chances. So how about a "raffle day" (similar to the double money tuesday)? One day every week raffle tickets are limited to 1 per user and prizes are drawn every hour instead of every 6. That would make it a lot easier for newer players while still giving the "upper class" the chance to do something with their money on the other days :P
FairyPrincessCynthia

Also the need to have a "money sink" is irrelevant because there is no penalty for having too much money.
Tango

Post by Tango »

Already answered in the other raffle thread on this. Generally in support of any raffle changes. Except the one where you are only allowed to win 1 of each. That's fundamentally against a collection site, and if the only raffle I can win is repeats of the 1 no one likes I can still use that 1 to trade in the future to get other raffles. I should be allowed to win 4 Steelix so I can trade the bonus 3 for each of the others eventually; as an example.

So changing it so that becomes impossible is the only bad option I think. Not to mention that raffle becomes pointless after a time in that case, cause eventually no one would be able to participate :3
Tango's Trade Station
═══════»«═══════
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable
═══════»«═══════
KittyQueen

Post by KittyQueen »

I enjoyed the hourly raffles over Christmas; perhaps increased frequency of raffles would help? 2 chances a day (even if there was a limit on wins/tickets etc. still leaves very little chance of winning.
Adoptable
Feel free to farm clicks in my spares groups :)
Dragonclaw

Post by Dragonclaw »

My idea is, still, put it back to three hours and expand the winner list to 20 instead of 10. That would definitely help the casuals.

I don't think limiting it will help, bad RNG exist, so everyone will start to complain about that and the big players will always buy the maximum. It should stay a money sink.
But perhaps casual players will consider throwing a few more tickets in if they see the big players in the list and don't feel too frustrated if they "lose" against a casual player rather than the same 5 people over and over again.
Last edited by Dragonclaw on January 14th, 2023, 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Icon: Zhou__Mao

Adoptable Adoptable Image Image ImageAdoptable
FairyPrincessCynthia

I've had a pondering over the last few days. The raffle has always been problematic, as I said earlier. And I believe that the faster site has amplified this negative impact of the raffle. Making raffles time out faster and putting a hard cap on tickets purchased per raffle are the strongest agreed-upon solutions.

I would like to propose a third, alternative solution: Virtuadopt has never made a promotional adopt available from multiple simultaneous sources before. Put the rafflemons in the Prizes category at 2,000-2,500 Virtuacoins per adopt. (And put the Mew back while you're at it) And also keep those promotional adopts available in the raffle.
Yoshiki
Total in Love with derBhaal

Post by Yoshiki »

I second that: "alternative solution".
❤️ Sharing IP every day with my husband derBhaal . ❤️Image❤️
❤️
Adoptable❤️Adoptable❤️Adoptable❤️Adoptable❤️
Syiren

Post by Syiren »

Spending coins to get the promos is a good idea. I support it.
Spoiler:
ImageAdoptableImage
MrQuaza

Post by MrQuaza »

I personally like the idea of longer winners lists and more frequent raffles. This isn't some MMORPG where you have to have money sinks to keep the economy alive. This combined with the coins idea would work wonders imo.
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Pheria

Post by Pheria »

Tango wrote: January 13th, 2023, 12:15 am Already answered in the other raffle thread on this. Generally in support of any raffle changes. Except the one where you are only allowed to win 1 of each. That's fundamentally against a collection site, and if the only raffle I can win is repeats of the 1 no one likes I can still use that 1 to trade in the future to get other raffles. I should be allowed to win 4 Steelix so I can trade the bonus 3 for each of the others eventually; as an example.

So changing it so that becomes impossible is the only bad option I think. Not to mention that raffle becomes pointless after a time in that case, cause eventually no one would be able to participate :3
Yes, I fully agree with you, which is why I wouldn’t want only one win per person. I’d be cool if it was limited by weekly wins or monthly wins tbh, so collectors can still get a chance as well as everyone else!

I also really enjoy the idea of spending the coins on the raffle prizes, even if it’s just after they were removed from the raffle so people who didn’t win could still claim them! It would still require a bit of work to get the coins so they wouldn’t feel “gifted” or “easy to get”. That and a longer winner list would honestly work really well, in my opinion.
AdoptableAdoptable
...a c c e l
e r a t e !

Post by Akemie »

Dragonclaw wrote: January 13th, 2023, 2:32 am My idea is, still, put it back to three hours and expand the winner list to 20 instead of 10. That would definitely help the casuals.
Would love that!
It is frustrating to spend thousands of tickets for a specific raffle mon just to not win it again and again and to see users with already 3 or more of them ;w;
Adoptable Image Adoptable
ImageImageImage
pixels by King-Lulu-Deer (DA)
Ecco
** TROPIUS **

Post by Ecco »

I support this

+1 for the raffle every three hours with an expanded winner list
Last edited by Ecco on January 14th, 2023, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:king: Image :wub:

Collecting:Tropius (Pm me if you have some tropius for trade)
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

Three hours raffle with 20 winners sounds good to me too.

Not so sure about the "raffle promos as prizes"-thing. If there were more ways to get coins I'd be fine with it, with the current system I don't like it. Would just force you to throw away even more pokemon :/
And I still think it would be a disadvantage for newer players. When you start you neither have that much stuff to "shred" in the transfer station nor do you have that much money to have a decent chance at the raffle, so in the end it would be the same couple of users who would get both, the raffle promo and the prize promo.
I do like the idea of having a second way of getting the raffle promos, though.