Devolution Spray

You have an idea for site or have a suggestion to make it better? Post here.
KitsuLeif

Re: Devolution Spray

Post by KitsuLeif »

Tango wrote: November 18th, 2022, 6:46 pm BUT! As much as I find this item proposal interesting... ... I do absolutely get the point of 'this isn't Digimon'; even if this is from the TCG, the TCG doesn't exactly follow the norms from the other branches of the franchise.
It's also possible in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity and Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon.
And while it's not possible in the mainline games or the anime, the manga has done it a few times. On one occasion even with... an Eevee!
And Pokémon Unite does it as well:
The opening cutscene for Pokémon UNITE shows Talonflame, Slowbro, Greninja, Cinderace, and Garchomp devolving into their base forms of Fletchling, Slowpoke, Froakie, Scorbunny, and Gible, respectively. This suggests that experienced Pokémon that participate in Unite Battles are devolved to their base forms inside the stadium in order to evolve again during the game. However, Pokémon with baby forms, such as Pikachu and Mr. Mime, do not devolve to their baby stages.
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Devolution

So yeah, there is no real consistency in the franchise regarding this matter. Some instances say it can't happen, others use devolutions regularly.
Tango

Post by Tango »

Fair enough ^^ Seems like great support for it being more prominent in the universe.

I do not have any experience with any of those; I just played the core games :3 As I said, I don't think this would really harm VA to exist, my dislike of the idea is all just personal preferences. But it isn't so strong as to oppose the idea. And if it does become a thing, simple is better.

Edit:
Did just remember... On other collection sites with similar 'change your collect' sort of items, they keep some rarity by only making it available during an event. If availability of a Devolution Spray is a major concern, instead of putting on a bunch of special conditions and rules around how it works how about putting it into a rare rotation of the Prizes in the Game Corner? Or a special sale in the Mart?

Or something of that like. Restricting availability instead of complicating the item.
Tango's Trade Station
═══════»«═══════
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable
═══════»«═══════
Syiren

Post by Syiren »

Tango wrote: November 18th, 2022, 6:46 pm Once you start adding limitations to the number of times it can be used on a single adopt, as in the example from Syiren above, you run into the same problem as described earlier in the thread with traded adopts. What if that Kadabra you just traded for & didn't have the everstone on had already previously gone through the de-evolution process from its previous owner? Now you're stuck in the exact same way as if the item had never existed.
I don't know how the programming works on this site, compared to other collecting/raising critter games, but if anything in the coding connecting actions to a specific person then it might be possible for the game to remember who did what and not let another to use it.

If Red trainer trades Blue trainer a pokemon, and it evolves, but Red had already used that once before on it because Red trainer got pokemon originally from Green trainer and it evolved for Red who used the spray, Blue could still use the spray on it once because Blue hasn't used it on the pokemon yet.

I play on antoher site called Dragon cave, where you raise dragons from eggs all the way into adults. The mechanics between the two are different, but you can use actions on the growing hatchlings and eggs and those actions are abilities that certain dragon species have. (like items, but they're dragon powers) A pink dragon can help you "influence" what gender you want your dragon to be, or a red dragon can "incubate" an egg to let it hatch a day sooner.

The reason I mention Dragon Cave is because of how the abilities work there. Normally the person can only use a Red dragon's ability on an egg once. Unless they trade it, in which case the ability resets and allows the next person who gets the egg a chance to use a Red dragon's ability if they want to. Same with a Pink dragon. If the original owner wants their Thunder egg to be male and then they trade it, the effect on the egg is reset and the new owner can make it female if they want.

It's true that both VA and DC are very different, and I'm not even sure how the programming/coding works for either one, so I have no idea if it's even possible, but it's just a suggestion that I've seen work in other places.

If the spray ends up being a thing, then that's awesome, but if not, then that's okay too. As long as it's balanced enough to where it's helpful for those who need it, and fair enough to ensure it's not abused then I'm all for it. ^_^
Spoiler:
Name: Mewsic
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
FairyPrincessCynthia

Post by FairyPrincessCynthia »

I quite like the availability rotation idea myself. It'll be like the McRib.
Spoiler for more adopts inside:
AdoptableAdoptable AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Praise be to fairy types.
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

I just had another idea that's goes into a similar direction. I'm not 100% sure what I think about it myself, but still wanted to share it with you to hear your oppinions:
In Legends Arceus evolutions don't happen automatically. Once the pokemon reaches a level where it can evovle a button pops up in the menu that you have to trigger manually. What if we had something similar here in VA? Actively evolving a pokemon in it's edit-page.
That way you wouldn't be able to revert an evolution but it would prevent accidential evolutions from happening. Of course that would make everstones kind of useless unless you want to be REALLY safe, but I still think it might be an interesting solution.
Syiren

Post by Syiren »

Cyrrior wrote: February 24th, 2023, 8:27 pm I just had another idea that's goes into a similar direction. I'm not 100% sure what I think about it myself, but still wanted to share it with you to hear your oppinions:
In Legends Arceus evolutions don't happen automatically. Once the pokemon reaches a level where it can evovle a button pops up in the menu that you have to trigger manually. What if we had something similar here in VA? Actively evolving a pokemon in it's edit-page.
That way you wouldn't be able to revert an evolution but it would prevent accidential evolutions from happening. Of course that would make everstones kind of useless unless you want to be REALLY safe, but I still think it might be an interesting solution.
I like this. I'd give it a +1
Spoiler:
Name: Mewsic
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Kaede

Post by Kaede »

++++

I'd appreciate the devoluton spray :'( someone clicked my migrated mons before I was able to give everstones to them - my most beloved evolved... at least for the migrated would be really nice...
Collections listed in my forum profile.
Tentakelmonster
Faustkämpferin

Post by Tentakelmonster »

+1 !
I really like the idea, especially for migrated adopts that accidentally evolved (yes, I know, there are warnings, but it can still happen by accident... )
Adoptable Adoptable