Pokemon Value ~guidelines?

Have any questions regarding Virtuadopt? Ask here!
Brandi

Pokemon Value ~guidelines?

Post by Brandi »

A little background info, I'm new to both (either?) versions on VA so I'm truly a newbie here. :lol:

So..very happy to have hatching eggs, however, as I fill out my DEX and have doubles -- how do I know what their values are? I did read the Guide Here, but...ah..doesn't really help much in regards to a basic ~something to work with.

I can assume these things - I think - please correct me if I am wrong:
  • Retired/ Promo/ Legendary Pokemon trade for Retired/ Promo/ Legendary Pokemon of the same ~desirability
  • Regular mon trade for other regular mon

I cannot figure out the following aspects of valuation:
  • How do we know something is retired?
  • How do we know what regular mon are worth more/less in comparison to each other. (i.e 1 of mon x = 3 on mon y)
  • Are there some other breakdowns of how things are priced? i.e Starters/Regions/etc?

Are there unspoken rules of thumb, a guide somewhere or a listing I've missed? :oops:
Thank you SO much in advance to anyone who can give their 2 cents :lol:

AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Spoiler for more clicks:
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
SchokoKitsune

Re: Pokemon Value ~guidelines?

Post by SchokoKitsune »

Well, usually rarity in trading depends on popularity!

So for example Eevee is worth more than 1 regular, often being traded 1 Eevee to 2 or 3 others, as multiple people collect it, even tho it isn't necessarily harder to hatch.

Shinies of popular mons are usually worth more than shinies of Mons like Geodude. (No offense to anyone loving golden stoneboy, tho!)

Certain Baby Pokemon can be harder to get and therefor rarer in trades, like Tyrogue, as that can only be bred with Ditto and a rather bad Chance for an egg.

Of course, promos with limited availability get rarer over time, and currently everyone and their Moms are goin crazy over Gummy Noibat. I guess it's obvious why - beautiful art, lots of different versions to get, very limited amount of them available and no one knows if they will ever be available again.

Newly released regions seem to have a higher trade value a few days after release, too! But there's really no official guides or anything, as far as I know :D
FairyPrincessCynthia

Post by FairyPrincessCynthia »

Value is mostly arbitrary and dependent entirely upon each individual collecting any specific instance of adopt.

The true 'market value' (if such a thing exists) of an adopt can be weighed on quantity and time since its previous circulation.

One notable variable is is whether or not a potential adopt has radiance. ie: a Shiny Pokemon.

Another variable that comes into play is the appeal of an adopt. For example, a Shiny Carnivine is one of the worst possible adopts you could have the misfortune of being stuck with because no one wants it.

A fourth variable is "Species Collectors." Some people exclusively try to build "armies" of one species of Pokemon above all others. For example, someone might collect Tropius, and another might collect Sylveon, which means it's not a bad idea to see who collects what and save them for these people.

And a fifth variable, which runs counter to the whole value thing entirely, and of which applies to certain stellar people on the site, have trade boxes full of Pokemon that they would give to anyone who's trying to fill holes in their collection.
Spoiler for more adopts inside:
AdoptableAdoptable AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Praise be to fairy types.
Brandi

Post by Brandi »

@FairyPrincessCynthia & @SchokoKitsune
Thank you SO much for your responses, it makes it a lot easier to kinda discern certain things. You are so appreciated!
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Spoiler for more clicks:
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable