We have to talk about the Raffle

Old suggestions that have not proven popular or are otherwise no longer relevant.
SchokoKitsune

We have to talk about the Raffle

Post by SchokoKitsune »

Hello everyone!

I will try to put this into words, and I'm sorry in advance if anything sounds rude/harsh or different than I intended - english isn't my first language, and I'm already bad at expressing myself in my main language πŸ˜…

I think we have to talk about the Raffle.
Or, more specifially, about Shinies in the Raffle.

I do love the Raffle, and I am well aware that it is, after all, a raffle, so there is never a guaranteed chance to win anything - and I like that! In theory, that makes it possible for everyone to win, and winning with a small amount of tickets feels amazing. I think we all know that putting money in the raffle can equal to putting money in the trash can, and that is okay. I understand it is also kind of a money-sink for people, so very active players don't accumulate millions of virtual pokedollars over time.

The Problem that I see happening currently tho: We have a few very active players with a whole lot of virtual pokedollars, and whenever they can buy tickets, they do understandibly go for the Shinies. The "Recent Winners" mechanic does not really affect that, as there usually is a few Raffles of "normal" Promo Mons in between Shinies and there's usually at least one big spender able to buy tickets. (I'm glad for that mechanic tho, because I'm quite sure it would be way worse without it.)

I know of many players that have multiples of the Promo Raffle Shinies already, and as a casual player, with each Raffle Shiny that goes as a duplicate to someone it feels more and more impossible to ever get one of them for myself. Sure, they might end up in the GTS, but as a casual player, I don't really have anything of interest to offer up for them.

I don't have a good solution for this, but I have a suggestion that seems a little more fair to me than the current system:
In addition the the "Recent Winners", maybe add a "Recent Shiny Winners" history to the Raffle - that would keep the Heavy Spenders from grabbing every single Raffle-Shiny, but it wouldn't keep them from trying to collect more if they so desire, it would just slow them down a bit. Not sure if it is possible from a developer-standpoint to differentiate between Shiny and non-Shiny, tho, so if you've got different or better suggestions, please share them!

Hopefully, I don't sound too much like a self-pitying idiot... but I've seen the same people get Promo Shinies over and over again and I just felt like talking about it. I've had enough of capitalism in real life, I don't really want that on my virtual collection websites as well x_x"

TLDR; Add a second Raffle History for Shiny-Winners or a max ticket cap
Last edited by SchokoKitsune on September 2nd, 2022, 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zeitenlaerm

Re: We have to talk about the Raffle

Post by Zeitenlaerm »

I'm usually a quiet-clicker and don't go out and about in the forum but as I read this, I couldn't agree more.

I'm on here for fun and see it as a small hobby to fill when I have to wait for something or whatever, and I want to enjoy it at the fullest. I'm working a 40h+ Job and can just enjoy little time on here and when I do, I can't click into eternity as some others might do and knowing that if I participate in a raffle and lose all the money it just takes all the fun out of it. Sure, raffle is 100% luck based but some others just have more chances (cause of the virtual money) for it than the lower/poorer section.
I know that I don't have to participate in raffles if I don't like it like that and that's all on my decision but it's still sad seeing the same people over and over again in the winning lists and then trading it off like they don't even care.

I like the idea of slowing the process down a little bit like SchokoKitsune said - a separate list where they wait for a little bit and can win later again.

so... +1
Dragonclaw

Post by Dragonclaw »

I agree to 100% with this.
I wouldn't consider myself as a person with money problems, but I do see the same people winning it over and over again, no matter how much I'm spending for it, and currently, I just try to win for a friend who has a very tiny amount of money, and even that doesn't work. I spent over 9000, 4500, 2500, 2000, etc. tickets to get the current shinies, but almost always, someone who already had it got it. I'm not even complainig about it, if the person didn't had it already - not at all, everyone deserves it. I'm just only talking about people who already have one, two or even three and still camp in the raffle until a shiny pops up, so they can dump thousands of pokedollars into it to trade it for ridiculous prices now or in a few months or even years. It already happend on old VA and it'll happen again here.

My idea is, having a limit for winnable shinies for each event, like - let's say there are two different shinies in total, so you can win three in total. The raffle site should have a little textbox somewhere, that says "You can still win *3* shiny pokΓ©mon." and that resets when the price pool is refreshed. Otherwise, a shiny winnerlist seperated from the normal winnerlist would be amazing too. Just... anything, please. Anything, so you have to think twice if you want to participate in the raffle, because now it has no consequences, if the next shiny pops up; the active, rich players can buy tickets again.

Thank you.
So.
Yeah.
+1
Icon: Zhou__Mao

Adoptable Adoptable Image Image ImageAdoptable
SchokoKitsune

Post by SchokoKitsune »

Added a TLDR because I realized people dislike reading walls of text x_X"
Syiren

Post by Syiren »

Very much support this. I'm not able to click as often as I'd like and the best days for me are the extra cash days where you can earn up to $8 per feed instead of $4. I kinda felt put off for a few days because it's already hard enough to get a normal shiny so when one pops up in the raffle and you have the chance to win one that is going to by shiny it'd be nice to add to the shiny roster.

I have no problem with the mechanics of the raffle itself. It's a chance and buying a number of tickets gives you a percent ratio. That part is totally fine, it just seems, as @SchokoKitsune said, those who win one promo shinies tend to end up with duplicates. I wanted to voice something similar to this, but I was afraid I'd come off as rude or petty and I don't ever want to sound like that, as that's not how I intend it to mean.

As for those trading their duplicate shiny promos, there's nothing wrong with that, at all. It just kinda bums when your best offer isn't good enough. I currently have only 4 shinies I can trade, and I don't really want to part with any of them.

And I'm in no way throwing any shade at those who do win. They work hard for those clicks and for the amount of tickets they purchase, and they have every right to be excited and proud of their victory.

It just seems a bit unbalanced is all.
Spoiler:
ImageAdoptableImage
PokeTrade
Crazy collecting Chansey

Post by PokeTrade »

+1

Great idea about the 'you can still win x shiny pokemon'
My collections:
ImageImageImage
Tango

Post by Tango »

I've never liked raffles as they're just fundamentally for the affluent. They're money sinks. That's their purpose. And this purpose lends itself to favoring the rich.

I would love to see this changed, but if you consider the effects of stopping those dumping hundreds of thousands on tickets for the most valuable things you end up with different problems. One being a return to how fresh raffles start with the little guys having 0 chance of earning the regulars cause now the richest players are prohibited from gaining more shinies.

There is an advantage for the little guys the way the shinies currently work. It entices the bigger members to wait and only spend money when they pop up suddenly. It stops them from wanting to get too many regulars cause they could miss the shiny when it arrives. This competition between regulars & shinies on the same list, the random element, and no perceived maximum they could obtain is the only reason regular raffle promos become viable for everyone else.

The proposed ideas have this shortcoming I think. But I don't have any suggestions atm ^^; The current problem could just be that there's literally no other place to dump money for valuable things. Though, I did see a mention somewhere before of putting a cap on the number of tickets anyone could buy. That would certainly even out the odds, but does remove the money sinky-ness.
Tango's Trade Station
═══════»«═══════
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable
═══════»«═══════