Forum Clear-Up

You have an idea for site or have a suggestion to make it better? Post here.
Dragonclaw

Forum Clear-Up

Post by Dragonclaw »

Hi!
So, uhm, I don't know how to put it into words, but the forum is full of super, extremely old and outdated posts. Some sub categories are unnecessary and deletable (like Guides & Clans, Contest forum, Writing Section, Original content, Art Shop etc.). General discussions are only used for the Congratz topic, besides that, it's full of spam and outdated stuff.
It's just not really fun to look at all the subcatergories when it's just flodded with old things. The contest forum has to 95% deleted images in the entries, so I also don't see a reason to keep that, for example. Deleting posts from the regional corner where no one posted something since 2016 (If anyone misses their language then, they can just recreate that post)
Finding something actual useful in the help section is tedious with 54 sites of old spam. We could have fresh, updated Guides for common questions, like how every special evolution works (Crobat, Lopunny, Lycanroc, Sylveon, ...) and stuff
TL;DR: It's just a general question, really, if people are pro or contra a forum clear-up?

Uuuh. ;w; I'm not good at making suggestions nnghl - I just wanted to ask if a forum clear-up is planned or if there's a reason why that was never really touched? I'm not sure if I'm the only one who just doesn't find it very inviting or fun to use the forum, because of all the old posts and unnecessary subforums and especially after the reset, it could be nice to make it a little fresh again?

Sorry for that "I-Don't-Know-What-I'm-Doing/Saying"-Post, aaaaAAAA QwQ I hope it was understandable.
Icon: Zhou__Mao

Adoptable Adoptable Image Image ImageAdoptable
PokeTrade
Crazy collecting Chansey

Re: Forum Clear-Up

Post by PokeTrade »

Big pro!
My collections:
ImageImageImage
TsukinoRan
魂を放浪

Post by TsukinoRan »

As far as I know, the bug forum was cleaned up with the restart.
Although I'm not really active in the forum due to other circumstances I'm also not really fond of the idea to delete all of that stuff. For example, the Guilds and clans forum reminds me with its posts of people I knew here that used to play, and I re-read some posts out of old times sake when it restarted.
Besides that, the General discussion was Used a lot back then, but I guess the most users who made their topics back then aren't active anymore...so unsure about that.
Tango

Post by Tango »

I would not opt to delete these things that compose the history of VA. Many, many, forum revamps make that mistake and then they're left with nothing for old members to come back to.

Lots of this is nostalgic to go back and read, and just because something isn't currently being used today doesn't mean it'll never be used again. If this place was actively being advertised and drawing in new people the forum activity might drastically change.

Updating VA official topics and guides though would be great. Archiving old help topics or suggestions that have been decided upon (whether acted on or declined) would help clean things up. But Member driven discussions I feel should be left alone. It's not really uncommon for a new member to randomly post in a multi-year old topic and get it going again.
Tango's Trade Station
═══════»«═══════
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable
═══════»«═══════
SchokoKitsune

Post by SchokoKitsune »

I'm pro clear-up - but it doesn't have to be via deleting, Tangos suggestion with putting very old stuff into an archive sounds great as well.

I don't know about others, but personally, I always feel like I'm doing something illegal when posting in a thread that hasn't been touched in years. Might be because I grew up around german forum-etiquette, and someone someday decided "reviving" old posts was a bad thing xD
Dragonclaw

Post by Dragonclaw »

I would like to bump this, hoping, some people changed their minds about this.
I find it hard to motivate myself to use the forum for anything, but the ideas-section, because of the amount of old posts, dead links and linked adopts, literal spam, unecessary forum categories like the whole art-section, clans, contests (newest post is from 2020), the GTS has hundreds of inactive topics, which is confusing, the contest forum is full of dead images, most forum games are super inactive and it seems like no one has the motivation to create new ones, because of all the dead, existing ones, everything in the talky-talky category that didn't had a new post since 2019 is quiet unnecessary, everything in the Announcement category before the reset is absolutely useless and confusing, there at least 8 pages of the general discussions category that no one will ever post in again, and so on. Ah. And the official rules have a dead tinypic image in them. Mm.
Maybe, if you really wanna keep that stuff for nostalgia, put everything in an "Archive", but away from the categories.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO AGREE WITH EVERYTHING, but that's just how I view it.
I was really happy to see that at least the "Introduce Yourself" category got cleared - maybe more, that I haven't seen? But that's neat. :3

And also - it's nothing, that has to happen overnight, like - take your time, please, I just... wanna give it a try again. I don't know if I'm only speaking for myself or not, but the forum really bothers me. ;;
Sorry if anything came up as rude, I struggle to put words and emotions together, because I'm mentally disabled and this is a huge trait of it aaa- Like. Seriously. Sorry. I don't mean to offend anyone. I really don't.
Icon: Zhou__Mao

Adoptable Adoptable Image Image ImageAdoptable
Tango

Post by Tango »

I'm still on board with archiving things somewhere to keep the active areas clean :3

Except spam obviously! That can be deleted ;D Is there any currently around? I thought we were pretty good about getting that reported & cleared.
Tango's Trade Station
═══════»«═══════
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable
═══════»«═══════
TsukinoRan
魂を放浪

Post by TsukinoRan »

Yeah, putting things in an archive would be great; otherwise things get lost a bit.
Haven't seen spam for a while though.
SchokoKitsune

Post by SchokoKitsune »

Bumping this!

Could Archiving the old and/or closed topics right here, in the Suggestions&Ideas forum, possibly be pushed upwards on the priority list?

I do not know if that's just me, but I personally find it very difficult to distinguish closed topics from not-closed topics, and especially in the suggestions-forums, I would like to check if something was suggested (recently) before I suggest the exact same or a very similar thing, and moving closed and ancient topics (=anything pre reset) into an archive sub-forum would greatly help with that!
MilleniumPL

Post by MilleniumPL »

Delete no, Archive yes
////////////////////////////////////////
Just recently got back to playing
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Last edited by Inactive on April 17th, 2023, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MilleniumPL

Post by MilleniumPL »

Morgrem wrote: November 9th, 2022, 6:41 pm +1 I'm pro archiving popular old threads/historical moments, and deleting spammy threads, having a cleaner forum when the rework comes around for the website would be great
Nah, please do not delete forever even spammy threads. Just archive all unnecessary ones.
////////////////////////////////////////
Just recently got back to playing
Serenia

Post by Serenia »

I wouldn't like any of the old forum posts to be deleted, but I would love for them to be archived.
Catslover
I <3 Shiny's

Post by Catslover »

It's a great idea Dragonclaw ;D
Maybe to be safe, and for memories indeed the archives?
But deleting is fine for me too

+1 :D
:king: AdoptableAdoptableAdoptable :wub: