State of the Virtuadopt

Every announcement regarding Virtuadopt main site, or forums will come here.
BAS90

Re: State of the Virtuadopt

Post by BAS90 »

I would vote for option 3 also, with the option of keeping/freezing shinies and legendaries/Promos. Having huge collections isn't needed if that saves game space. I don't spend a huge amount of time on here, but I do try to be on here every day and would really miss this site. Willing to go with whatever works to keep the site going.
Akemie

Post by Akemie »

Oh, when we are on this topic rn anyway: What about preventing bots from writing in the forum with things like:
You can only post in the forum when you hatched 10 eggs. Those spam waves with suspicious and sometimes nsfw links are soooo annoying :'D

(not writing this in "suggestions" because this post here is meant for the future-VA :3)
Adoptable Image Adoptable
ImageImageImage
pixels by King-Lulu-Deer (DA)
Catslover
I <3 Shiny's

Post by Catslover »

Ooee that's a great idea =D
Very nice!

yankeesrule3526 wrote: February 20th, 2022, 5:14 pm Since there seems to be quite a few people willing, I want to clarify donations and premium.

Premium isn't coming back, likely ever again. I would be willing to open up the donations again, with no rewards or perks for doing so. It would only be used for paying the server costs, nothing more and nothing less.
Okay!
And if you are donating, is the blue name still there? :D
Well.. it might be a real benefit, to add Premium too
Because you get a (small) reward, (maybe only a few eggs extra, or $5.000 every month on VA, or a Promo Pokemon (maybe tradeable), if you support VA 3 months or something, or maybe so much more haha xD) so you could attract more people, then only the ones who would like to keep VA alive / VA Fans :king:
:king: AdoptableAdoptableAdoptable :wub:
Mona0815
LOTURZEL!!!

Post by Mona0815 »

Option 3 sounds realy good for me as long as the CE will come to life again :D
I would love to be here more active again ♥
Ei only miss you when I´m BREEEDIIIIING
KiraNear
Man of Mayhem

Post by KiraNear »

Tbh, I don't know how to feel about option 3. I get the idea and I think, that sounds really logical.
But on the other hand, losing all my shinys, collections and specials/promos ... I don't like that. And I don't think I would be highly motivated to try to get them all again, if that even is an option, especially for promos like my Winter Teddiursa or the Summer Jumpluff. So, yeah, don't know ho to feel about this.
On the other hand, I don't know any alternative and I have no programming knowledge. It just feels like a lot of wasted time, if all my pokemons just get kicked into the void :/
Especially that ones, where I needed a lot of time and very much luck to get them.
AdoptableImage
Avatar made by smilesupsidedown.
Picture in my signature made by Cyrrior.
Cherry-Spot

Post by Cherry-Spot »

Well, after about....6 years? I had the sudden urge just now to log back in, so I definitely support the options that involve keeping it open akjdjkdskj- I personally wouldn't be against either one, but #3 does seem good for the chance to have "new" things happening to help encourage activity/interest imo
My Nursery
SereniledCharmander

Post by SereniledCharmander »

I just wanted to say beforehand that the existence of this thread means a lot to me, and it’s reassuring knowing that I’m not alone in just how much I care about the site. Also, I love the puns, haha.

I would be wholeheartedly willing to donate any amount that it takes to keep the current site up—whatever amount per month and I’ll do it. The sky’s the limit there. The memories I’ve made here mean so much to me, even over a decade later, and they’re not something I would ever want to lose. I know the sentiment has been echoed already, but it truly is a nice trip down memory lane and I know Virtuadopt is nostalgic for many. I would say that the content of the forums matters to me, personally, more than my pokemon themselves, but I know there are others who are incredibly attached to the pokemon they’ve collected over time.

I am hesitant about some of the aspects in option 3—I think that it would be wonderful for Virtuadopt to have a rebirth because it absolutely deserves it, but my fear is that the forums here and the memories we made would be gone. Would pursuing this option mean that the forum would still be archived? I know there are potential ways to archive it, but I’m not sure exactly how to go about that.
Proud artist of:
SereniledCharmander wrote:
RandomRocker wrote: It's just one of the old affectionate genders we did when we were noobs~ ;v;
... o-o *gestures
.... I'm sure you did all kinds of genders back in the day~ ;w;
TsukinoRan
魂を放浪

Post by TsukinoRan »

yankeesrule3526 wrote: February 16th, 2022, 11:29 pm Your immediate thought through all that was probably, what about my existing adoptables being ported over? We probably could migrate them, it's not like they are lost, but in some sort of "locked" state because like I said, everything is very stripped down for a newer system with a more modern way of doing things.
I wonder how everyone skips that sentence from yankee's announcement^^'
It's not as if it wouldn't be possible at all to migrate them, but my guess is that it would take quite some time to do so.
Catslover
I <3 Shiny's

Post by Catslover »

My english is not the best xD
But I hope you all understand this..

Yes I did read that, but I don't know how it all works, to have a online 24/7 website running
So I thought, maybe that's quitte overloading too bring all of VA over, instead of resetting???
So then I thought, option 3 sounds very good, to start small, have a fast website, less work maybe, because you don't have to migrate a millions of accounts and adoptables (also the ones, who are abondoned)
Maybe it's also cheaper to start quitte small, and if it's time, to expend, and spend more to VA
But that's just a thought, I don't know if it's true / correct xD

And yes, if it was totally not an option, well.. it would be weird to bring that offer haha xD
Thank you for quoting yankees, maybe did people skip it (by accident, or forgetting that reaction)

Also option 3, and start over sounds good too me, it has 2 sides
It's sad for the adopts and my time, effort, work, but it might also bring a new life to VA, more activity, new people, new chances
And yes some adopt where extremely hard to get
For me, I could offer them, and give a Virtuadopt a reset /reboot <3
And yes I understand that not everyone would be excited, or find it a good idea, it has a downside

But if it is truly possible, to migrate the adopts, it might be a great middleway / solution
I wish Virtuadopt the very best, and I hope there will be an definite option someday
Good luck with creating a decision, it must be quitte hard to make a definite decision <3
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

Post by yankeesrule3526 »

Ran through some numbers cause interesting to see and help put things in perspective as to why option 3 is worded the way it is.

The website, game and forum included, is 89 GB. Images account for 88 GB, with 85 GB being just the adoptables we all have in our signatures. For a server move, those are all usually rebuilt, all 5.7 million of them.
For those interested, the database is around 8 GB, but I think some of that could be trimmed off, maybe a gig or two.
SereniledCharmander

Post by SereniledCharmander »

Oh wow, that is interesting. If the size of the forum itself is rather small compared to the sheer size of the adoptables, would that make it less of a hassle to keep the forum/migrate it over?
Proud artist of:
SereniledCharmander wrote:
RandomRocker wrote: It's just one of the old affectionate genders we did when we were noobs~ ;v;
... o-o *gestures
.... I'm sure you did all kinds of genders back in the day~ ;w;
Tune
Master of Space

Post by Tune »

I'd be up for a restart of the site as long as I can transfer some of the mons dear to me to my new account, even if they can't be part if the dex and all just get a legacy label of sorts. (anything to keep my highest levelled Deoxys, my shiny Blossom Deino and my Halloween juggling Haunter lol)

- I'm not up to date with how the dex/site art is handled but maybe a new site could mean new art too? To emphasis on it being new + shiny but on a smaller scale?
- As for some of the features, I feel like trading (GTS-esque feature) should stay. if clicking could be optimized without having to rely on the click exchange it'd be easier for us who play AND help newcomers wanna keep playing too.
- I don't think premium should be opted out for those who want to support the site but also get something out of it as long as it doesn't make a vast difference between non-paying and paying customers.
- Donation could also be brought back so people can input how much to donate as opposed to a fixed cost that premium would have.

All in all, make it a bit more simple (as in, fewer features again until we find more/new staff), restrict the amount of space in each box (this will hurt huge collections but like, I'm willing to lose most of my armies if needed), maybe give us a chance to transfer/keep our favourites, make it easier for people to click and thus keep them willing to come back and re-add donations and maybe tinker around a bit with premium.

I think that's all I can think of atm, sorry for big wall of text x')
AdoptableImage
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

I think for the most part, the forum would remain how it is.
FairyPrincessCynthia

Post by FairyPrincessCynthia »

I stopped using this website after I got into Pokemon Go. Whatever will be, will be.
Spoiler for more adopts inside:
AdoptableAdoptable AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Praise be to fairy types.
Papilusion
Daydreamer

Post by Papilusion »

Wow. It's been a while...

Gotta say option number 3. And I'd be fine without my old adopts. (Will I miss my shinies, my collections? Yes! But I'll make a screenshot.)
It would be the perfect time to strip the game down and make it playable on our phones. Make it simple again. And make it so that everyone has the same chance at completing the normal dex, even new players.

As for special dex, if that comes in later, make them untradeable. Make it a "I was there, so I have this". I dunno, never had the hype for the special dex.
Adoptable
Catslover
I <3 Shiny's

Post by Catslover »

YES Playable on mobile phones / tablets, that would be amazing!! <3 And easier to play, if I'm on my way home :king:
Would be GREAT if that would be possible, I totally love your idea <3 <3 <3 <3 :wub:
Last edited by Catslover on March 1st, 2022, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TsukinoRan
魂を放浪

Post by TsukinoRan »

Don't forget please that yankee is just one person. Whatever he prioritizes comes first.
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

Mobile friendly could happen, but not at first. The main priority is getting the backend stood up and to a point where a mobile layout can be easily and (relatively) quickly achieved.
Tomoaki
Tauros' leader

Post by Tomoaki »

I too vote for the 3rd option to try and get VA a fresh start, with the option to choose a few mons to take with us or even taking all of them but in a "frozen" state for the beginning. I haven't been active here for a while, but I also was super sad when the possibility of just shutting VA down came up, bc I enjoyed the site, community and clicking activity hugely when there were more people around.

One thing, that I would love to see come back in that new VA though (at a later date, when there is time for it), would be the click exchange. And if possible an option to get notified when someone clicked your pokemon/clickbox. I have zero idea how that would work without spamming notfications for each clicked poki, and it's probably already more of a discussion for when a fresh VA already exists, so I'll stop here.

I am hoping virtuadopt can be reborn, even if in a simple way and starting from the beginning :)
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Akemie

Post by Akemie »

Tomoaki wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 10:49 am I too vote for the 3rd option to try and get VA a fresh start, with the option to choose a few mons to take with us or even taking all of them but in a "frozen" state for the beginning. I haven't been active here for a while, but I also was super sad when the possibility of just shutting VA down came up, bc I enjoyed the site, community and clicking activity hugely when there were more people around.

One thing, that I would love to see come back in that new VA though (at a later date, when there is time for it), would be the click exchange. And if possible an option to get notified when someone clicked your pokemon/clickbox. I have zero idea how that would work without spamming notfications for each clicked poki, and it's probably already more of a discussion for when a fresh VA already exists, so I'll stop here.

I am hoping virtuadopt can be reborn, even if in a simple way and starting from the beginning :)
Other pokemon-clicking-sites have click lists called "unreturned favours" where you click back those people who clicked your adopts. VA could get something similar. I personally wouldn't like notifications. You can see who clicked a specific adopt now so a notif wouldn't be necessary imo. :3
Adoptable Image Adoptable
ImageImageImage
pixels by King-Lulu-Deer (DA)