State of the Virtuadopt

Every announcement regarding Virtuadopt main site, or forums will come here.
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

State of the Virtuadopt

Post by yankeesrule3526 »

Welcome to Virtuadopt land! Population...well...just a few....

I wasn't really sure how to begin writing this post but my hand has been forced (probably for the better since I've been putting it off). Recent events have drastically changed the world we live in and Virtuadopt has finally been affected by it, in the form of server costs.

For those of you who do not already know, most of Virtuadopt's users live in Germany and the surrounding areas. For the best experience across the largest part of the user base, the server is hosted in Germany. As many of them probably know, electricity costs in Germany have been steadily increasing. Earlier this year, I received a message from the company that hosts our server. They are raising the monthly cost for the server starting March 20th. So where does that leave us?

Can we justify the increase costs for a web game that has gone mostly cold and isn't receiving updates? Is it worth the time to attempt to relocate to somewhere cheaper? Are we just prolonging the inevitable shutdown? These are the questions I don't have good answers for. But, maybe my indecision should be used as an opportunity for a discussion as a community. Come to a decision as a community. So what are our choices?
  1. Let's get the obvious, painful one out first. We can just let this be Virtuadopt's final moments and sail off into the Solrock. Obviously, no one wants that but it's a possibility and has its place on the table.
  2. Attempt to relocate to a cheaper server elsewhere, and continue to limp on with some features still broken. I'm going to take this bullet point to note, it's probably not realistic to expect anyone to want to pick up the torch as it exists now. Virtuadopt is literally 13 years old and the code base hasn't aged like a fine wine. Many parts of the site exist in a half updated state, completely different from the next page. This is entirely my fault that it is in this state, but the site became too big and in place upgrading grew too problematic and time consuming to continue.
  3. Building off of point 2, do we use this opportunity to start over? Hit the reset button. Trim the proverbial fat. Flip Virtuadopt like an Inkay and see what evolves from it. (I'm having fun with these Pokemon references please don't hate me.) Go back to the basics, how things were in 2009, start over with just Kanto. I Pikachu, you Pikachu, with all the shiny Mew things. I'm just spitballing this half baked idea. But what if we trimmed Virtuadopt back to the basics: adopting, clicking, and trading. Additional features could be added on later, but we have that new backend engine we need. Your immediate thought through all that was probably, what about my existing adoptables being ported over? We probably could migrate them, it's not like they are lost, but in some sort of "locked" state because like I said, everything is very stripped down for a newer system with a more modern way of doing things. Create something that doesn't need any one person to manage, but the staff and artists control what events run (kind of already exists but complicated). Is all this even something I can even commit to? Maybe, with a little help.
So there, I think that's everything I wanted to cover. The "airing of the pre-Wash Rotom laundry" (I'm done I swear). This is very much an open discussion so feel free to leave questions, comments, and concerns below and I'll do what I can to answer them. But this is a community decision so talk to each other, not just to me.

BTW, I purged the GTS cause it's evidently broken from one of my previous upgrade attempts. Probably should just disable it... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
TsukinoRan
魂を放浪

Re: State of the Virtuadopt

Post by TsukinoRan »

Well, I already said what I have to say in that matter^^

I Guess rebuilding with a newer backend on point 3 is still the best thing what could happen maybe^^'
As soon as you get someone to help you in that regard though.
Same with server costs, splitting would be a viable answer maybe...and donations, I guess^^
Though it will still take quite some time to rebuild, maybe that is the most viable answer.
Akemie

Post by Akemie »

I don't want to see VA go down and was thinking much about solutions with donations etc the last few days.

I kinda like the idea of point 3. As long as we don't loose our most-beloved pokemon we hunted for for years at this point xD I slightly remember another pokemon adoptable site where they migrated to a new website and each user could choose a bunch of their pokemon to take with them.

I also read in the german thread that one part of the problem with the older server was that there were way too many pokemon per user. My idea is that of a classic box-system. You have a box from the start with the capacity of 100 slots for pokemon. You can expand it with pokedollar and/or buy a second/third/... box for PD.
Yeah, all those big collections of hundreds and thousands of pokemon wouldn't be possible that easily/cheaply but it would at least prevent VA from getting too big.
Adoptable Image Adoptable
ImageImageImage
pixels by King-Lulu-Deer (DA)
TsukinoRan
魂を放浪

Post by TsukinoRan »

Akemie wrote: February 17th, 2022, 10:06 am I don't want to see VA go down and was thinking much about solutions with donations etc the last few days.

I kinda like the idea of point 3. As long as we don't loose our most-beloved pokemon we hunted for for years at this point xD I slightly remember another pokemon adoptable site where they migrated to a new website and each user could choose a bunch of their pokemon to take with them.

I also read in the german thread that one part of the problem with the older server was that there were way too many pokemon per user. My idea is that of a classic box-system. You have a box from the start with the capacity of 100 slots for pokemon. You can expand it with pokedollar and/or buy a second/third/... box for PD.
Yeah, all those big collections of hundreds and thousands of pokemon wouldn't be possible that easily/cheaply but it would at least prevent VA from getting too big.

Well, I would rather loose some Adopts than loose the site itself.
Yesterday has been quite a trip down in memory lane for me when I browsed through the forum.
I mean, adoptables can be re-hatched or be aquired elsewhere eventually, so I rather live with a bit of a loss in adopts then with the site^^'

I mean....when I look at my collection I would need around 7k boxes X'D
Don't think that this would be a better idea than now, but I'm not great with coding and all that stuff, so I guess it would maybe be an option.
Base functions like clicking/Evolving/ Shopping for evo items would be nice, GTS would be a nice-to-have so you can still trade your stuff to other users. Daycare....well, aside from shiny hunting and maybe hatching some adopts like cleffa or such...no opinion on it really.

As for the little games VA has....
sure they are nice, but are they absolutely necessary? As long as there would be a new backend engine I guess they are also a nice to have, but they aren't a must.
Since they didn't exist when VA launched I guess it would be okay to gut them should they be hindering the site down.

In regards to donations though:
Where has the donation button gone?
Don't tell me that stefanol took it with him, I remember there being one back in 2014 XD
Crowfeather

Post by Crowfeather »

I see it like the answers before, I don't want to see VA go down.
A few years ago I spend some money and I would do this again.

I go with idea 3 and think if it is possible to take some of our (maybe 50?) beloved Mons than it would be great to start new.
The problem I see is that we actually need every Evolution to fill the dex. An example: I need Pichu, Pikachu and Raichu. It would be better to hatch Pichu, evolved it Pikachu, use a thunderstone for Raichu an had also all 3 as catched in the Dex. Like it is in the games. :/
So you can save a lot of space and you don't need really all 151 Mons (as example) in the Box.

I hope we can find a solution.

(Sorry for my bad english) ><
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Collecting:
Persian, Tauros, Houndoom, Kecleon, Pyroar, Lycanroc, Boltund, Dachsbun, Chien-Pao + Anpu Houndoom.
Sabbo
Like a boss

Post by Sabbo »

thank you for discussing this, i like your pokepuns x D

option 3 sounds fine for me, count me in. I can totally deal with this option although it may cause a loss, whatever, i would be ready to start over.
Akemie wrote:I also read in the german thread that one part of the problem with the older server was that there were way too many pokemon per user. My idea is that of a classic box-system. You have a box from the start with the capacity of 100 slots for pokemon. You can expand it with pokedollar and/or buy a second/third/... box for PD.
Yeah, all those big collections of hundreds and thousands of pokemon wouldn't be possible that easily/cheaply but it would at least prevent VA from getting too big
i like the idea, support^^.
AdoptableAdoptable
Nery
Coffee Freak

Post by Nery »

Sabbo wrote: February 17th, 2022, 11:07 am option 3 sounds fine for me, count me in.
+1

option 3 would be totally ok for me
Virtuadopt Click-Box
Collecting: Seel, Dewgong, Houndour, Houndoom, Abandoned Mimikyu and Anpu Houndoom
(Future Gens: Gothorita, Deerling, Klink, Cofagrigus, Archen, Mimikyu)
Dragonclaw

Post by Dragonclaw »

I'm not really good at suggesting or discussing things. Virtuadopt is a part of my life and I only associate good memories with it, I'd hate to lose it and was actually so incredibly sad and cried when people talked about it going offline in the near future. But this thread gives me hope. Thank you all for fighting for VA. <3

Option 3 sounds good to me. Count me in.
Icon: Zhou__Mao

Adoptable Adoptable Image Image ImageAdoptable
TsukinoRan
魂を放浪

Post by TsukinoRan »

Dragonclaw wrote: February 17th, 2022, 12:49 pm I'm not really good at suggesting or discussing things. Virtuadopt is a part of my life and I only associate good memories with it, I'd hate to lose it and was actually so incredibly sad and cried when people talked about it going offline in the near future. But this thread gives me hope. Thank you all for fighting for VA. <3

Option 3 sounds good to me. Count me in.
I guess at long as you have an opinion on it^^
I'm also terrible for suggestions, but well...can try XD
Jore

Post by Jore »

I go with Option 3 as well, a restart sounds nice, as the current game feels... broken.... even impossible if you're a newer user.
I just wish everybody has the chance to complete their national dex q.q
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Dragonclaw

Post by Dragonclaw »

Jore wrote: February 17th, 2022, 3:38 pm I go with Option 3 as well, a restart sounds nice, as the current game feels... broken.... even impossible if you're a newer user.
I just wish everybody has the chance to complete their national dex q.q
Oh, yeah, this!! I wanted to invite my friends and girlfriend so badly to this game, but I was always too scared, because it's so incredibly hard for new users to catch up with the completing the dex or getting older promos that they might get attached to by looking in the special dex. I'd love it when legendaries could come back in any form sometimes (maybe just marked 2nd or 3rd star, to keep the originals more special?), like a rotating price for clicking in the Click Exchange or putting them in the Raffel.. or literally any available game! Since most of them became completely uninteresting after a bit or were already uninteresting from the start.
Things like the zodiac promos could rotate depending on the current zodiac.
Seasonal promos could rotate based on the season plus some additional new ones.
And so one.
There's nothing wrong with having some adopts who are ONLY available for a limited time, I'm not saying that everything should come back, only some things (like in the past before :3). But things like national dex Pokémon and bringing some promos back here and then would help new players or people who might miss them, so both of them don't have to completely overpay and desperately trying to get their hands on the desired promo. I'd like that.

Xypo

Post by Xypo »

I agree with 3rd option. It would be amazing to have the opportunity to get older mons and participate in events. As long as our mons would be just locked, I don't have an issue with it. Also, it would be great for newer players to have more fun with VA.
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

Post by yankeesrule3526 »

TsukinoRan wrote: February 17th, 2022, 10:42 am In regards to donations though:
Don't tell me that stefanol took it with him, I remember there being one back in 2014 XD
Donations, I believe, were removed when Premium came about. It didn't make sense to keep it around when you could get something back in return.
TsukinoRan
魂を放浪

Post by TsukinoRan »

yankeesrule3526 wrote: February 17th, 2022, 6:07 pm
TsukinoRan wrote: February 17th, 2022, 10:42 am In regards to donations though:
Donations, I believe, were removed when Premium came about. It didn't make sense to keep it around when you could get something back in return.
Well, time to rewind that I guess XD
Akemie

Post by Akemie »

I would gladly pay for premium if it gets me something in return (higher shiny or congratz chance *cough*) :3
I think it would be a great way to support VA and pay for the server costs, and maybe another admin who helps with coding and stuff.
Adoptable Image Adoptable
ImageImageImage
pixels by King-Lulu-Deer (DA)
TsukinoRan
魂を放浪

Post by TsukinoRan »

As far as I remember, premium just had more eggs to adopt. Since you know, there's always this monetization of pokemon websites that kills them. Don't think that this would be a wise decision.
Donations, on the other hand, are purely because of wanting to help without getting anything, and I think that would be more flying under the radar then.

Higher chances...dunno, seems a bit like pay to win to me, wouldn't really stand behind that (at least in my opinion).
Also, I think donations are a better way of handling it in general. Since you know, for premium people would await some things, updates and the like...when there is only donations, you can only support what is there.
Dragonclaw

Post by Dragonclaw »

I'm totally up for paying for Premium VA if it would cost 5-10$ per month. I was always sad that I didn't had access to it, because I didn't had my own bank account or money when it was out and my family was against spending money on digital stuff. But now I totally could. :3
I can barely remember what we got in return, but it doesn't really matter to me, as long I can help one of my favourite websites out and get a small thing in return. Such as a name colour, being able to adopt more eggies, a few benefits for arcade games (especially longer time in the click exchange until you need to answer a question again.. hhh), perhaps a few more steps for eggs for my clicks in gerneral, maybe exclusive special dex adopts if you are a premium member for like 1 month - 3 months - 6 months - 12 months, and so one - just an idea!

Sabbo
Like a boss

Post by Sabbo »

Dragonclaw wrote: February 17th, 2022, 7:53 pm I'm totally up for paying for Premium VA if it would cost 5-10$ per month. I was always sad that I didn't had access to it, because I didn't had my own bank account or money when it was out and my family was against spending money on digital stuff. But now I totally could. :3
I can barely remember what we got in return, but it doesn't really matter to me, as long I can help one of my favourite websites out and get a small thing in return. Such as a name colour, being able to adopt more eggies, a few benefits for arcade games (especially longer time in the click exchange until you need to answer a question again.. hhh), perhaps a few more steps for eggs for my clicks in gerneral, maybe exclusive special dex adopts if you are a premium member for like 1 month - 3 months - 6 months - 12 months, and so one - just an idea!
same here, would also support with a small monthly amount, if necessary. i like your ideas, especially expanded clicking time lol. the click exchange is a good feature and a win win, would like to keep it.
AdoptableAdoptable
SchokoKitsune

Post by SchokoKitsune »

I haven't been on here in ages - I'm actually happy to see Virtuadopt is still alive and I'd be even more happy to see it experience some kind of "rebirth" - starting fresh would be fine to me, and I wouldn't necessarily need to keep any existing adopts. (I'd be totally fine if that's an option, especially for those with big collections. As I kind of stopped playing years ago I gave most of my adopts to a friend back than... but I'm happy to see some of my fav mons are still in my collection, and I wouldn't mind keeping them - possibly even as static images that can't be leveled further :D)

I think what would benefit the server-capacity would be some kind of limit of adoptables you can own, and/or a (bigger) benefit for getting rid of them. Most other adopt-sites I've used over the years have similar systems in place to keep themselves from being overloaded. The adopt-limit-system could be like Akemie suggested, with Boxes you can buy over time from ingame-money. Both to help the servers and to have a money-sink so players don't accumulate too many pokedollars over time, which once more would help the servers because one can't simply buy thousands of spaces for new adopts at once. It would also be possible to add additional boxes that are paid with real life money to help finance the site.

As far as I know, currently you can get rid of pokemon either by releasing ( = deleting) them, or by donating them to the Trade Point. The latter gives you one VP, and with multiple of those you can adopt Pokemon out of the Trading Point. I'd suggest keeping the Trade Point System, but also adding a reward for releasing in case you don't wish to adopt new Pokemon. Wouldn't even need to be much, a few Pokedollars or a small item maybe?

I also wouldn't be opposed to a real money currency and/or a premium feature, as long as it's optional and doesn't turn into "pay to win". Most sites have these, because nowadays everything costs more and more money and an entertainment-site ain't no cherity. You might have volunteer-staff, but servers don't pay themselves, which is why we're having this conversation, right? <_<
-Alec-
Lurch (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Post by -Alec- »

I haven't been active for a while but I'm totally up for option 3. As for migrating existing Pokemon you can propably have like 10 or another fixed number Pokemon you can "transfer" to avoid blowing the "new" site with existing, yet locked, Pokemon. Plus, it would be more of a challenge if you can't take every Pokemon with you. I think I'd be more active again with a fresh start, I'm actually kinda hyped about this :'D