Pokémon Sword & Shield

For discussing aspects of Pokemon not related to VA, such as the games, TCG, anime, and manga.
K-Y

Re: Pokémon Sword & Shield

Post by K-Y »

Well, I like playing this game ^^ but for sure high lvl raids will be annoying... and dynamax is strange, but for sure better than Z-attacks from alola, I hate them so much ;x

Edit. oh, and I don't like idea with home thing... If some pokis will be obtainable only from there, ugh...
Spoiler:
AdoptableAdoptableTeam InstinctAdoptableAdoptable
"Inni złodzieje zwyczajnie kradli wszystko, czego nie przybito do podłoża, ale ten złodziej kradł również gwoździe."
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

I have around 100 hours in Shield now. I've had the game since the 20th of november, because I got it second hand. Yeah, the game is fun and it's the first time that I'm actually trying to play more competitively, but there are still so many things that really annoy me. I would rate it 6.5/10, but nonetheless I would say it's in my top three of favorite Pokémon games so far. I'll probably write a more detailed review once I stopped playing for a while x'D
Sabbo
Like a boss

Post by Sabbo »

i play Pokemon Sword now. actually i was going to get Shield but it was sold out. started playing when i came back from Japan on 22th of November. since i really wanted to play the game with a shiny pokemon right from the beginning, i started shiny battling very early. haven't made much progress with the story or the badges but encountered around 1000+ Chewtle and Zigzagoon x D.
Yesterday, the magic happened but it turned out totally different x D

i battle every random brilliant pokemon i see for watts and ran into a brilliant Skwovet while looking for another Chewtle or Zigzagoon. the Skwovet was a random shiny!

Named her Chipsy and everstoned her since i don't like Greedent that much. she looks cuter without evolution. in battle she turned out to be a rare square shiny. i tried to catch the shiny squares on camera but it is a difficult task. in the last photo, you can see one blurred, bright square floating in the air and another, cutted one in the grass.
Spoiler:
Although its not one of the shinies i was actually looking for i'am very happy with her^^
AdoptableAdoptable
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

Actually, the Square Shiny ist the more common one with a chance of 15/16. Except for breeding, where the odds are reversed and a Star Shiny has a 15/16 chance afaik.
Still, a shiny is a shiny. Congratz!
BookWyrm

Post by BookWyrm »

I'm really enjoying it so far. I like the new Pokémon and exploring the region and I personally don't really care they left some Pokémon out of the game since I already have trouble choosing which ones I want in my team because I like them all. Although I'm disappointed with the starter evos, but I had seen that coming.

I do hate it though that the Exp. Share can't be turned off now. I don't understand why they did that. But as long as I don't battle or catch too many wild Mons my team's not too OP. xD

I don't know about the antagonist team, but I'm barely halfway so I'll see.
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Spoiler:
Adoptable Adoptable
K-Y

Post by K-Y »

Well, I've got a shiny Salandit in my pokemon shield and kill it... It was my 2nd Salandit in the game, and I even didn't know this is a shiny form ^^" I wanted to catch it but it fainted after 1 hit =_=
Spoiler:
AdoptableAdoptableTeam InstinctAdoptableAdoptable
"Inni złodzieje zwyczajnie kradli wszystko, czego nie przybito do podłoża, ale ten złodziej kradł również gwoździe."
Sabbo
Like a boss

Post by Sabbo »

K-Y wrote: December 5th, 2019, 3:14 pm Well, I've got a shiny Salandit in my pokemon shield and kill it... It was my 2nd Salandit in the game, and I even didn't know this is a shiny form ^^" I wanted to catch it but it fainted after 1 hit =_=
i feel sorry for you, happened to me with a Shiny Zubat a longer time ago, i know how it feels...

i still didn't make much progress in Sword. I got 3 badges so far and spend my time on resetting a shiny fossil. started the hunt 2 weeks ago, when i got tired of all the shiny information haunting the net regarding battle encounters and brilliant pokemon but may be prooven wrong. so yeah, trying for a full odds shiny now...

i'am at about 2800 revives for Arctozolt, maybe i will be resetting for the next months or stuck forever x D lets see how long my patience lasts on this one. at least i'am busy for a longer time with the same game = p
AdoptableAdoptable
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

@Sabbo: Congrats to Chipsy! You're right, it looks a lot better than it's evolution.
@K-Y: Something similar happened to me in the 5th generation. The very first Joltik I saw was a shiny. I had the music turned off and I wasn't really paying attention, so I almost missed that it was a shiny, I just had the feeling that I saw something sparkle from the corner of my eye, but I wasn't sure XD I looked up how the shiny version looks but since they aren't THAT different I still wasn't sure until I catched it. I didn't have any moves to weaken it though, most of them would have probably killed it, so I just threw pokeballs at it and got lucky XD

Sword/Shield: I finished the story about a week ago and am currently switching between breeding, wonder trading and catching wild pokemon to fill the dex.
All in all it's pretty fun and I don't mind the missing pokemon at all, there are a bunch of other things that I didn't like that much though. But most of that was related to the story, so at the moment I'm pretty happy. (Apart from only getting boring stuff in wonder trade and not having the GTS. That's something I really miss.)
Sabbo
Like a boss

Post by Sabbo »

@Cyrrior: thank you, indeed, also the shiny colors of the evolution are less noticeable...

i'am so thrilled right now, after 6880 revives i got my Shiny Arctozolt! so happy, i like the shiny color on it, i expected around 8000 revives to get it, glad it were less^^. guess i will now finally making progress on the story, since i still have 3 badges only, there is plenty to do.

https://ibb.co/8m6W4H9
https://ibb.co/svjHQ9t
https://ibb.co/XX8kZLy
https://ibb.co/FhXrS0t
AdoptableAdoptable
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

What do you guys think about the announced expansion pack? Buy? No buy?
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

I think, I'll buy it, because I want to be able to play competitive for a while. And a DLC seems to be fairer than another third and fourth game that feels like a DLC but costs the same as a new game.
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

I'm ... not sure actually.
I really hate the concept of DLCs and to me it's really fishy to release a game that feels so unfinished and then talk about a DLC two months later. Sure, we had special editions in the past, but while they added new stuff, the original games never felt like something was left out on purpose just to sell it to you again a couple of months later. Apart from B2/W2 I never felt like buying the special editions, but with this ones I'm feeling like I might be missing out on something - but it's something that should have been in the game right from the start.
I just talked with Sabbo about how disapointed I was about the amount of legendaries for example - now they are adding more, but you have to pay for them. :/ I'm happy there don't seem to be any non-legendary new pokemon though, then I'd be really mad.
And I don't really get why everyone is saying that a DLC is better than a full-price game? Since they are sold basically everywhere you never really have to pay the full price for them anyway, with DLCs on the other hand you're bound to pay nintendos price (and they rarely do any discounts for their top selling games). And since they said they'll add about 200 pokemon and we are currently missing about 400 - 500, I wouldn't be surprised if they released another DLC at the end of the year. So if you'd buy 2 DLCs you'd pay exactly the same you would have paid for a full priced game.

Another thing I'm not happy about is that they said the two new areas would be similar to the wild area, because that's actually a part of the game I didn't like that much. I enjoy the regular routes a lot more. They showed some house designs so I'm hoping that there might be at least a couple of small towns (and pokemon centers!) here and there, I think that would help.

What they showed still looked interesting though (although not very british XD) and the new co-op sounded interesting. I also liked that they said they'd add the ability to trade the new pokemon to versions that don't have the DLC - I'm just wondering how you're supposed to get them without a decent trading system *cough, cough*
So ... yeah, like I said, I liked what I saw, but I really think it should have been part of the games right from the start.
At the moment I'm undecided if I'll buy it or if I should pass.
Sabbo
Like a boss

Post by Sabbo »

Cyrrior wrote: January 9th, 2020, 8:53 pm I'm ... not sure actually.
I really hate the concept of DLCs and to me it's really fishy to release a game that feels so unfinished and then talk about a DLC two months later. Sure, we had special editions in the past, but while they added new stuff, the original games never felt like something was left out on purpose just to sell it to you again a couple of months later. Apart from B2/W2 I never felt like buying the special editions, but with this ones I'm feeling like I might be missing out on something - but it's something that should have been in the game right from the start.
I just talked with Sabbo about how disapointed I was about the amount of legendaries for example - now they are adding more, but you have to pay for them. :/ I'm happy there don't seem to be any non-legendary new pokemon though, then I'd be really mad.
And I don't really get why everyone is saying that a DLC is better than a full-price game? Since they are sold basically everywhere you never really have to pay the full price for them anyway, with DLCs on the other hand you're bound to pay nintendos price (and they rarely do any discounts for their top selling games). And since they said they'll add about 200 pokemon and we are currently missing about 400 - 500, I wouldn't be surprised if they released another DLC at the end of the year. So if you'd buy 2 DLCs you'd pay exactly the same you would have paid for a full priced game.

Another thing I'm not happy about is that they said the two new areas would be similar to the wild area, because that's actually a part of the game I didn't like that much. I enjoy the regular routes a lot more. They showed some house designs so I'm hoping that there might be at least a couple of small towns (and pokemon centers!) here and there, I think that would help.

What they showed still looked interesting though (although not very british XD) and the new co-op sounded interesting. I also liked that they said they'd add the ability to trade the new pokemon to versions that don't have the DLC - I'm just wondering how you're supposed to get them without a decent trading system *cough, cough*
So ... yeah, like I said, I liked what I saw, but I really think it should have been part of the games right from the start.
At the moment I'm undecided if I'll buy it or if I should pass.
my dear friend, your posting expresses exactly what i feel about the new content. yes, there were special editions in the past but in this case i feel ripped, cause they simply lied and gave misguiding information and statements to us before. i can't remember those practices already took place with special editions. what bothers me the most is not they will add pay content to the games but the way they behaved and treated the community. without tons of true long time fans, who bought all their games so far, they wouldn't be that successful.

for me, Swosh aren't worth the 60 bucks. the thin story hurts and some towns are sparsley populated, like in the very first games, just a couple of houses, nothing special to do or to see...don't get me wrong, the old games are nostalgic classics, they were fine that way but in times of better consoles and development of the games, i expect more.

not just "okay, do the gym challenge!" and rushing from town to town for badges. it really annoyed me once you defeated a gym leader, he or she already talked about the next badge...

thats why i'am not sure if i will go for the expansion pass, can't say if the added content is worth paying another 30 bucks, which is not a small amount, Fantasy Life DLC on 3DS for example was only around 15 bucks.

...also bothers me i can't evolve Slowpoke : /

i guess this is what the games will look like in the future, main game+ 2-3 DLC. oh well...
AdoptableAdoptable
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

Yeah, I heard some people say that they probably started working on the expension after the backlash from the whole dexit thing, but I don't think you can make an expansion like that in such a short amount of time. And they even said that they've been working for a long time on it already, so it's pretty obvious that it was some kind of "hey, let's leave some parts out of the game and then charge extra for it!" :/

And since you mentioned slowpoke... that thing is so weird! XD
From the concept art in the video it looks like slowbro might be a bit more interesting but I really don't get why they used slowpoke as a teaser for the expansion. I mean, slowpoke is pretty popular and all but that's by far the most boring regional form so far. They should have really came up with something more creative then just adding a yellow dot on its head and making the tip of the tail yellow.
Sabbo
Like a boss

Post by Sabbo »

Cyrrior wrote: January 11th, 2020, 7:59 pm Yeah, I heard some people say that they probably started working on the expension after the backlash from the whole dexit thing, but I don't think you can make an expansion like that in such a short amount of time. And they even said that they've been working for a long time on it already, so it's pretty obvious that it was some kind of "hey, let's leave some parts out of the game and then charge extra for it!" :/
same thoughts here...also they gave ridiculous reasons for the dexit, trying to fool their veteran-fanbase, i really didn't like that shady practises, better be honest with us...luckily, you can also trade for the non legendary pokemon without owning the Pass...as for the legendaries, i would be fine with just borrowing them for the dex entry.
Cyrrior wrote: And since you mentioned slowpoke... that thing is so weird! XD
From the concept art in the video it looks like slowbro might be a bit more interesting but I really don't get why they used slowpoke as a teaser for the expansion. I mean, slowpoke is pretty popular and all but that's by far the most boring regional form so far. They should have really came up with something more creative then just adding a yellow dot on its head and making the tip of the tail yellow.
that thing looks like being dipped into mustard, rumor got it they wanted to give it a ketchup-look first but became afraid of PETA-shitstorms cause it looks "too bloody" so they finally came up with the mustard-look. just joking of course x D

so far i don't have any explanation for the weird yellowish look, thats why i would like to see the two galarian evolutions, maybe they will clear things up.
Spoiler:
oh wow, so the evolution, Slowbun showed up and now the mustard totally makes sense...some fans claimed, it really doesn't look "very british", but others argumented, "some well known "frie-guy" seems to pop up everywhere!"
https://imgur.com/gztdelw
AdoptableAdoptable
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

They ALWAYS left some parts out of their games and charged you extra for it, but in form of a "new" version. Only that you really feel it now, with the Dexit before. But this time, I think it is a step in the right direction, away from the second version of the game. 30$ is a lot, I won't deny that. But you can get the 200+ old Pokémon without buying the DLC yourself, so you basically just pay 15$ for each expansion (first in June, second in November), get new Wild Areas, more story (that hopefully will be better) and new items.
What really bugs me about this is the fact that they charge you for both versions. Because the expansion pass is version specific you'll have to pay 60$ if you have Sword and Shield and want to play the DLC with both of them.

Also, afaik you can evolve Slowpoke without the DLC as well, as you only need an item from the new region. So if anyone trades it to you, you should be able to evolve it.
Same goes for the 200+ Pokémon that are added. You can get them via trade.
So basically this is the special version without really being a special version. At least you don't have to trudge yourself through the so-called "story" again like you had to do with the special versions before. You keep all your progress and Pokémon and don't have to trade them over to the new game where you can't use them immediately because they don't have your OT.

But for those, who wanted to wait for a second version like Ultra Sword/Ultra Shield, instead of buying Sword/Shield, I think this is really bad news. Not only won't they get a second version, but instead they need to pay 50-60$ for the main game plus the 30$ for the DLC if they want to experience it.
Of course we need to pay the 30$ extra as well, with the difference that we already have the main game to start with.
Would you have bought the second version, if there was one, even if you have play the main game already? I don't really know if I had. 60$ for a game I already played plus a bit of extra content seems really overpriced. So I'm glad they switched to a DLC model (even though I think, 20$ would have been a fairer price for it, but I'll wait and see what content is in there) where I can experience all the extras without buying the same game a second time.

But I agree: Sword and Shield felt incomplete, but they were fun nonetheless. Not story-wise but the quality of life changes and the fact that they made it easier to get into competitive is what still keeps me playing. Without that, I probably would have ditched the game after I had completed the story, completed the dex and got myself a shiny Salazzle, so... 50 hours approximately. But now that I'm able to play online with more or less success, I have nearly 300 hours spent on the game and have still something to do.
So, hopefully the DLC will give me some more competitive Pokémon and a reason to keep playing since 2021.
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

I hope they are adding some kind of GTS with these DLC - trading for the right Pokémon right now is a nightmare - I mean, how will I tell the other trainer what I want?
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

UkeSora wrote: January 12th, 2020, 6:03 pm I hope they are adding some kind of GTS with these DLC - trading for the right Pokémon right now is a nightmare - I mean, how will I tell the other trainer what I want?
Go to reddit, ask for the Pokémon you seek and you shall receive (mostly).
But yeah, Y-Com is a nightmare -.-
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

Well, so far most games have felt pretty complete to me. And the stuff they added in the special editions always felt like that - an addition to a game that was already finished anyway. Like ... I don't know. Rereleases of movies that are basically the same but have like 20 seconds of extra scenes or better special effects or something.
So you COULD get those special editions if you really wanted to, but you didn't have to in order to get a good and "whole" game.
This time however like I said the game already felt very unfinished from the start, so the DLCs really do feel like something that was planned to be left out and sold seperately all along.

I'm also not sure what to think about the fact that you just add it to your existing save game. I think that could also mean that the new stuff gets kind of boring, if you already have a team with a really high level. Or, in order to counter that, they make all the new pokemon extremly strong, which could be annoying aswell. Also, the few times I really bought a special version I actually enjoyed that I could start from the beginning again and create a completly different team or play it as a nuzlocke or something.
I agree that playing the same "story" again would be a bit of a drag though.
I don't know, all in all I just think having either a finished game without adding any stuff afterwards at all OR doing free updates would both be what I'd have prefered.

And yeah, I thought exactly the same thing as you, UkeSora.
It's nice that they are adding the 200 pokemon to the regular version of the game and that you can theoretically trade them. But doing so is exremely annoying.
It took me AGES to get a foreign ditto, just because I couldn't communicate with the other person to tell them what I was searching for. In the end I got it by naming my own ditto "other ditto?". That worked instantly. So having a GTS (in both, the old and the DLC version!) or at least some way of communication with the other players is really necessary in order for the whole thing to work.