Web Design Contest

Only Official Contests, managed by Virtuadopt staff belong here.
Ellie
HBIC

Web Design Contest

Post by Ellie »

This contest will close at 11:59 PM, US Pacific Time, on October 31st, 2013
Click here to submit entries
Hello Virtuadopt users!

This month we have a brand new contest for you. This time, you will be creating your own website that has something to do with Virtuadopt. It can be any type of site you want (informational, role playing, art display... etc), as long as it follows the contest rules:

1. Everything must be made entirely by you alone and entirely brand new for this contest. So if you already had a fansite before this, you must make a new one.
1.a You may use a website builder such as freewebs.com but you must include what builder tools you used in your post. You don't have to code everything by hand if you're not great at coding (creativity of the site idea will be weighted more than your coding skills), but you must tell us what you used. Same goes with layouts, you must tell me where you got it, and everything you use must be 100% free-to-use.

2. You must include at least one special Virtuadopt in your website, the word "Virtuadopt," and your VA username. This means something in the Special dex, not just the regular Pokemon. You also must give credit to Virtuadopt for anything from this website you used on a credits page, just in case someone stumbles across your site without visiting ours.

3. Websites must be completely in English. Simple, we are an English website so yours must be English as well.

4. Any images, games, etc you use must either be completely created by you or be taken directly from Virtuadopt. This means you can't include things like fan art drawn by other people or games created by other people on your site. You may use official art released by Nintendo but no fan art. If you use Nintendo art, you should add a statement saying "© of Nintendo 1996-2013" or something like that and either put it on the bottom of your site or a credits page like this

5. If you have been banned at any time during the contest, your entry is void. Same as past contests.

6. You may only enter one website. If you wish you may show beta stages and have multiple pages and sections on your websites, but you can only enter one finished product of a website.

7. By entering, you are allowing Virtuadopt to use any ideas in your site if we desire.

8. The contest ends at midnight on Halloween. You may not make any edits to your website after that. You can make any edits before that, but we probably won't look at every website right after it ends. If you are caught changing things after the deadline is over you will be disqualified.

Now, what can you win if you enter? Nautilus has prepared another lovely promo for you all:
AdoptableAdoptable
There may be additional prizes for exceptional entries. There also may not be a consolation prize for every single entry, so please try to do your best.

If you have any questions, please pm myself or sethless, or post in this topic. Good luck and I can't wait to see your entries! :)
Spoiler:
Please click box 1 & sig!
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Trading Box 13 for Clefairy/Easter Exeggcute/Xmas Sudowoodo
Trade
Yarold's
ChiipS

Re: Web Design Contest

Post by ChiipS »

Ellie, Hi, one question: throughout the creation of this site should be an independent production, ie, to be created by only one user?

Thanks to Sarkany by the image group
[Click Box I] • [Click Box II] • [Shiny Box] • [TradeStation]
COLLECTING: Lapras, Azumarill, Castform, Mamoswine, Galvantula and Goodra
LIMITED: Lights Mamoswine, Rotom

PokeTrade
Crazy collecting Chansey

Post by PokeTrade »

OMG That promo is sooo awesome...
And I'm very very happy! If being coding PHP for months, now I can finally use it here!

One question;
1. Everything must be made entirely by you alone and entirely brand new for this contest.
Also layouts? (I just mean the CSS & color/font combinations, no images)
My collections:
ImageImageImage
Ellie
HBIC

Post by Ellie »

ChiipS, Yes, it says right in the first post that it has to be made entirely by you.

PokeTrade, I actually hadn't thought of that, but I will say that you can use a layout from somewhere ONLY if 1. It's a completely free-to-use layout. 2. You link to where you found it in your entry.
Spoiler:
Trade
Yarold's
PokeTrade
Crazy collecting Chansey

Post by PokeTrade »

Ellie, Alright! Thanks for the quick reply!

*thousands of ideas*
My collections:
ImageImageImage
Ryou_Kimura
Daisuki Bruno-Chan

Post by Ryou_Kimura »

Oh my...this is something new...
But it is really hard xX'
Not easy...at least I think that...creating a homepage...

I really wonder...after which criterions you want to judge that, too.
Not everybody can do this...
Every one has a different taste, too...
Only one thing is sure you can judge...btu the rest...
People who can code have clearly a biiiig advantage here.

I'm really curious and looking forward to the entries.
Maybe I'll try myself...
Main Collections: Sandshrew, Chatot, Lucario, Shellos (blue), Corviknight
Side Collections: Girafarig, Swablu, Joltik, Minccino, Skiddo, Snom
Mona0815
LOTURZEL!!!

Post by Mona0815 »

Ryou_Kimura wrote:Oh my...this is something new...
But it is really hard xX'
Not easy...at least I think that...creating a homepage...

I really wonder...after which criterions you want to judge that, too.
Not everybody can do this...
Every one has a different taste, too...
Only one thing is sure you can judge...btu the rest...
People who can code have clearly a biiiig advantage here.

I'm really curious and looking forward to the entries.
Maybe I'll try myself...
Where do you even learn to code? @__@
I will try my best to entry but... hmpf...
The promo is really cute, btw ^___^
Ei only miss you when I´m BREEEDIIIIING
LucianoRocha

Post by LucianoRocha »

Ellie, I have a fansite of Virtuadopt, but is 100% portuguese. :/
Collecting:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ellie
HBIC

Post by Ellie »

Ryou_Kimura, yes people who code do have an advantage, but people who can't code can also make a good website using a builder if they sit down and think about it. The only coding I know how to do isn't useful for websites and I've still made several since I've been using the internet. Plus, we have had about a million different kinds of art contests and there are a lot of people here who are not good at anything artistic. It's time to give people with different skills a chance too.

As for how we're going to judge, besides how well-done the coding is, things like how easy to use it is (is it easy to find the page I want or is it buried under 10 different links?), how professional it looks (is it smooth and clean or are there typos and broken links everywhere?), how good the idea is (is it unique and interesting, or are there 5 other entries very similar to yours?), and a whole bunch of other things will be counted. Even if you can't code, if you make a fabulous website using a builder you can still have a great chance at winning

LucianoRocha, well, now you have an opportunity to make a new website since that's part of the rules anyway.
Spoiler:
Trade
Yarold's
ChiipS

Post by ChiipS »

LucianoRocha wrote:Ellie, I have a fansite of Virtuadopt, but is 100% portuguese. :/
It's finally a contest that I was interested in participating in 100%, but that part of being English really difficult, I know that there are reasons for this, so I think we should just follow that rule.

Thanks to Sarkany by the image group
[Click Box I] • [Click Box II] • [Shiny Box] • [TradeStation]
COLLECTING: Lapras, Azumarill, Castform, Mamoswine, Galvantula and Goodra
LIMITED: Lights Mamoswine, Rotom

LucianoRocha

Post by LucianoRocha »

Ellie, I can to use blogspot?

ChiipS, :|
Collecting:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
KuraFreak
Mother Fox

Post by KuraFreak »

Question 1:
"2. You must include at least one special Virtuadopt in your website, the word "Virtuadopt," and your VA username. "

Can we used one original Picture from the Special Dex for the one special Virtuadopt?
Or do we have to paint it?

Because Number 1 says "Everything must be made entirely by you alone and entirely brand new for this contest."

I hope it is understandable what i mean

Question 2:

Only one special Virtuadopt or can we used more than one?
~♥~ My Guard ~♥~
3DS FC: 3969-5066-6299 Send me a PM if you add me :3
Ryou_Kimura
Daisuki Bruno-Chan

Post by Ryou_Kimura »

KuraFreak,

"4. Any images, games, etc you use must either be completely created by you or be taken directly from Virtuadopt. This means you can't include things like fan art drawn by other people or games created by other people on your site."

Seems you can use VA art.

I only wonder...are we allowed to use official art and sprites and so on?
Main Collections: Sandshrew, Chatot, Lucario, Shellos (blue), Corviknight
Side Collections: Girafarig, Swablu, Joltik, Minccino, Skiddo, Snom
Guardian_Eatos

Post by Guardian_Eatos »

Can we take pictures of VA and the pokewiki?
And what is meant by the web address?
Azazael

Post by Azazael »

I think that contest is very difficult, at least for users who can not use coding o.o...
Also i wonder what will happend after the sites have been created, because i doubt anyone will use them after the contest is over.

There are so many sites about Pokemon so far and i think not all users are in good terms with general terms and condtions, meaning copyright and such o.o Every website using stuff from trademarks need an imprint and we have many people here who are not over 18 and maybe did not know how to write it.

I would have prefered the idea of an website-outfit more then a real website, for example make two colored sites how you would create a homepage about virtuadopt.
Because the website once is made can hardly been removed, because what ones is placed in the internet never can be removed.

So for me: I like the idea about the contest but i disagree to the terms;(
-very rare active-quitting VA-
Ellie
HBIC

Post by Ellie »

You can use official art too, I'll add that in. I have no idea what the other questions are asking so you'll have to explain yourselves better
Spoiler:
Trade
Yarold's
dragonfly1989

Post by dragonfly1989 »

7. By entering, you are allowing Virtuadopt to use any ideas in your site if we desire.

well what exactly will be used? If I programm a website I don't use CSS or something similar. I code every code by html and only use Editor. So any part of the code could be used even if I don't want to. O.o I think one special VA for all this work and than don't have any rights to protect the code is a bit less (or if I have a lots of extra time and programm a java programm).

Next question.

You want a complete function-able website. And who pays for webspace? Did you think about that the data needs to be uploaded and especially the free webspace provider are often hard to find (what is one of your judgment aspects).

So I would really think that making only one page is way better for the users, also cause they could put the document as attachment to their entry post.

Azazael

Post by Azazael »

Ellie, Pokemon is a trademark after all. So if people here want to include official art of pokemon they need to make an imprint with their whole name and adress, like poke-wiki has for example. This to make clear the owner of Pokemon (in that case nintendo or game freak) can contact you if the feel their work is used for other stuff. Then the owner of the website have to remove all content immediatly.

If you use official art or pictures, this is the law everyone HAS to follow.
So if users want to include official art work, you better should point that out in the rules...and maybe think about if the contest, with that in mind, is such a good idea.

So i totally agree to DragonFly. VA has users who maybe have no single idea how much it takes to make a website and maybe acidently take one where they have to pay for. What is then? So as i said before: i would prefer a normal painting then a real website.
-very rare active-quitting VA-
Ecco
** TROPIUS **

Post by Ecco »

Ellie wrote:You may use official art released by Nintendo but no fan art.
I like the idea !!
question solved
Last edited by Ecco on October 2nd, 2013, 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:king: Image :wub:

Collecting:Tropius (Pm me if you have some tropius for trade)
Ellie
HBIC

Post by Ellie »

dragonfly1989, it is very unlikely we will use anything in the first place, and if we do, it will almost definitely be ideas and not taking the code directly. We already have a talented coder who can do stuff for the site himself. That's just a disclaimer in case for some reason we find something we really want to use. I have had the disclaimer for many contests and the only contests we used things from was the member promo contest where we specifically said it was for the sites.

I already gave one free option and there are others out there if you look. For many of the other contests you had to buy things in to compete (crafting = buying materials, food = buying the food, any sort of irl art contest = buying art supplies), so that's not an issue to me, especially since you don't HAVE to buy anything if you don't want to.

Azazael, if they use something from Nintendo, all they have to do is put at the bottom or on a credits page that Pokemon is copyright Nintendo. It's what almost every other fan site does and it's not that difficult to do. I will add a disclaimer though. And I already explained about the money aspect. The whole point of this was to NOT make yet another art contest since we have had so many of those and people with the same talents always win and people who aren't talented with art have no chance. This is to give different people a chance to shine.
Spoiler:
Trade
Yarold's