A Special Kind of Contest - Winners!

Only Official Contests, managed by Virtuadopt staff belong here.
Aruna
♥Red King Crab♥

Re: A Special Kind of Contest - Winners!

Post by Aruna »

big congratz, the vulpix was my fav from all entries *_* *goes clicking now*
rise above
5starr
Location: In your bathtub,bet you went and looked,and I was there

Post by 5starr »

Congratu-well done to mauwie :)
Adorable ♥
People without skpe count: 9

If I'm not on for more than 5 days, assume I'm dead. ~ Starr
iShy

Post by iShy »

[center]Behind the Purrloin, Vulpix was my favoirte ^^

Congratz mauwie, you did great.[/center]
>>Welcome to Hell<<
"This world is merciless, yet it has this strange beauty."
Ryou_Kimura
Daisuki Bruno-Chan

Post by Ryou_Kimura »

mauwie, First of all: Big congratz that you won the contest ^-^

Candycane Vulpix is quiete cute^^

You know I like you and I'm happy for you that you won.
And for Ellie: You know I appreaciate your work as a mod and all the time and effort you put in here.

But:
I have to admit what others already said:
Vulpix's pose looks very similar to the original, as if it would be only recolored. I could swear I know that pose of Vulpix. Besides, it really looks very much like the one we already have in our Pokédex.
Plus we aldready have Arctic Ninetails AND Halloween Vuldoom, so it's not really something new to me or much creative.
It looks just if...something was chosen which will be quiete popular because Vulpix is popular.
It's a great entry and we had a lot of great ones. It must have been really hard to choose one.
But I still think...Candycane Meloetta or the Purrlion would have been the better option. The style of both was good and similar to the VA style, especially the one from Purrlion.
I can not understand why we have a Vulpix Promo again.

I would have prefered the Purrlion. And I don't even like Purrlion (it's more the opposite, ha, ha!). To me it looks more original and creative PLUS we don't have a Purrlion or evo of it as promo yet. I know it's very popular, too...

Edit:

Oh and:
I hope that none of the others entries will be used as promo later or something similar. Would be...unfair somehow.
You clearly said we'll have only 1/2 winners.
...and we were not allowed to post our entries somewhere as long as the contest is running and we don't know which one will be an official Virtuadopt.
Last edited by Ryou_Kimura on December 23rd, 2012, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Main Collections: Sandshrew, Chatot, Lucario, Shellos (blue), Corviknight
Side Collections: Girafarig, Swablu, Joltik, Minccino, Skiddo, Snom
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

Ellie wrote:as for a shiny, we would have released a normal and shiny version if the winner we picked had created a normal and shiny to begin with, and the winner would have gotten both. but since mauwie only made a normal version, there's no shiny to release :p
Yeah, but the rules said that a shiny version isn't necessary. I was thinking about changing the rules to "If you make a shiny version, the winner will get the shiny and the normal version will be released for everyone elese". That would have been cool. But it was just an idea :)
Mayluu

Post by Mayluu »

Ryou_Kimura, I agree with you. Plus we have Santa's Helper Farfech'd, which already used the idea of candy cane.
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Please play with them, too! *click*
Ryou_Kimura
Daisuki Bruno-Chan

Post by Ryou_Kimura »

Mayluu, You forget Candycane Porygon.

If it's the Candycane: We had a Candycane Arbok, too, as idea.
Well, it's style was not that similar to VA style.
But then again_ If the style would have most important, the clear best entry for me would still be Purrlion.
Liffy
Tiempos De Furia

Post by Liffy »

So, it was only my stupid fault to choose Wormadam than a lovely eevish PKMN or something like that? Don't get me wrong but I feel kinda disappointed 'cause I worked many hours on my idea for the contest and no one cares. My first idea was a Litwick advent wreath but then I thought it's also good to create a Promo of an unpopularly PKMN. In my opinion they need more attentation. Look at that Mr. Mime if you know what I mean. No one likes, so no one wants a Promo, right? Seems legit. And no, I'm not complaining about the fact that I haven't that success with my Wormadam (even I think it wasn't perfect enough) but in the future you should think about the participants. All of them puts a lot of effort in their ideas. It's quite hurting to read something like "uncreative" or "unfinished". People like me feel concerned. I'm a person who take words like these to heart. Please think about it. Thanks.

I don't want to grudge mauwie and the truth that she's the winner of the contest. Really. I congratz her with all my heart and also I'm happy for her. Don't think about it to call me envious. I'm not.
♫ Manipulate the pulse, the pattern, the rhythm ♫
♪ Dominate the beat ♪

♪ Manipulate the pulse, the pattern, the beat ♪
♫ Dominate the world ♫
Mina-chan

Post by Mina-chan »

Liffy, I completely agree with you. The "unpopular" Pokemon don't have it easy here, and I would have loved to be able to get a Mr. Mime promo. Any Pokemon that's considered unpopular, really.

If I think about it, a Dunsparce promo would also be nice... Anyway, I'm rambling. xD mauwie really deserved to win, I think it's kind of unfair though, because we already have a Vulpix promo and several that are candy cane themed.

So, congratz mauwie, you did a great job, and thanks to all the other people that drew something, all the entries were awesome. :3
SpoonyBard
† fool †

Post by SpoonyBard »

Mina-chan wrote:and I would have loved to be able to get a Mr. Mime promo.

One of the first promos ever made %D
AdoptableImageImage
My trade topic
Mina-chan

Post by Mina-chan »

SpoonyBard, It's not currently obtainable though. ^^ And I doubt anyone would trade it. xD
Nery
Coffee Freak

Post by Nery »

uhm... I think we already had some "unpopular" special adopts... we had a christmas mr. mime, christmas jynx, autumn paras/diglett/cacnea/cacturne, miltank, tauros, kangaskhan, crustle, ... the most users would call these pokemon "unpopular", but everyone has his own opinion. :P
Virtuadopt Click-Box
Collecting: Seel, Dewgong, Houndour, Houndoom, Abandoned Mimikyu and Anpu Houndoom
(Future Gens: Gothorita, Deerling, Klink, Cofagrigus, Archen, Mimikyu)
Azazael

Post by Azazael »

Congratz Mauwie for winning, your promo is very cute! I like his color a lot<3

But Ryou_Kimura, I agree to you. We already have Halloween Vuldoom, and it is also sitting...for me, they both look simialar in some ways, only the color is different. I admire the idea behind the Candy Cane Vulpix, but as so many other I would have agreed with another promo which has been made.
I believe the decission was very hard, because their have been so many good entrys...but still I am a bit disappointed, because we already have a vulpix-promo. The last years all artists made different pokemon promos, which is so great! And now having two vulpix is a bit...strange...

Well anyway good work!
-very rare active-quitting VA-
Mayluu

Post by Mayluu »

Liffy, I would not call Wormadame unpopular :)
But I do not get your point. What is wrong with making popular promos most people like? Or the other way round: Why intentionally make unpopular promos most poeple would not like? It's not like e.g. cats are somewhat unpopular, that is probably not the reason why the Carol Purrloin did not win.
Besides, as Nerymon pointed out, there are quite a lot more or les unpopular ones.
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Please play with them, too! *click*
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

Liffy, Ellie didn't say that all entries lookes "unfinished", "uncreative" and so on... she was just refering to some of them. So if you believe that you put a lot of work and effort into your entry, I tink you shouldn't feel addressed by that.

I know that the small version of my entry didn't look as "clean" as I wanted it to be, but even if it was it'd still be okay for me that I didn't win. Again, there were just so many awesome entries this time! So the fact that you didn't win doesn't mean that yours is considered bad or uncreative.

I agree with you that some pokemon are more popular than others and that people tend to prefer those promos but I think that you still have chances of winning even with unpopular pokemon (and they might even stick out from the rest).
To be honest, I talked to some friends some hours ago which entries were my favorites and actually yours was one of those. I like it BECAUSE it's something a little bit... unpopular. Normaly I don't like Wormadam at all (that nose... x_x XD) but you made it look really cute and nice :) I also liked Mr. Mime from Stella Maris, although I don't like the "normal" Mr. Mime. But the idea behind the promo was funny and it really worked well with that pokemon.
So... yeah, again I'm glad that it wasn't me who had to decide who shoud have won.
Ryou_Kimura
Daisuki Bruno-Chan

Post by Ryou_Kimura »

Mayluu, Why?
Because the goal should be:
- to have every or nearly every pokemon as promo in the end, no matter if they are popular or not
and not
- having all popular pokémon as promo and most popular double, triple or more

There are some other things, too, which bother me somehow.
Your entry should look as close to the current VA art style as possible.
That's one point.
...should look as close as the current VA art style.
Well, it seems only Pokémon which HAVE the current VA style had a chance here. So no matter how much effort someone put into his/her entry, it had no chance from the beginning if the artist had a different/own style than VA or simply not the know-how to draw the same style.
Yeah, I know, now you'll say then that person should haveb etter entered category 2.
But for that only description and scetches or a color scheme had been asked for. No finished drawing. There is a difference between these things.

That may only bother people like me...who wanted to present a finished VA and not only a scetch of something. A complete finished idea. As artist i know the difference betwenn finished work and scetched or schemes only. So for me the point with entering category 2 doesn't count. It was not clear enough, big misunderstanding I guess, that the VA really MUST HAVE BEEN VA style already.

Second thing is
4) No entries too similar to existing VAs. An example would be a Surfing Pikachu that looks different from the one we already have. No matter how good it looks we won't pick it if its appearance/idea is almost the same as something we already have.
Well. For me Vulpix IS something which is similar to soemthing we already have. Similar to Vuldoom and normal Vulpix.
I know the example is to create a real double existing promo like another Surfing Pikachu here (which would not have been a slightest bit creative though).
Liffy
Tiempos De Furia

Post by Liffy »

Mayluu, I think it's unpopular. Just take a look in the congratz topic. Some people grumble about their female shiny Burmy 'cause it can't evolve into Mothim. C;
There is nothing wrong with popular PKMN. I think it isn't also bad to give disliked PKMN a chance. That's all.

Cyrrior, Yeah, but even if I know I put a lot of effort in my artwork I felt a bit glumly. It's just... I can react over sensitive about such words. ´u` And I just wanted to say that's a bit depressing for people who thinks their contributions wasn't good enough.

That would be lying if I told anyone I wouldn't like to win. It's a contest and contests are still made for to win something. I'm not mad about the fact that my Promo wasn't choosen by the staff. I can live with that. But when I read the contest description the first time I was sure it's hard to please. I liked concept of the whole contest at all. We had so much great ideas and it's a shame that none couldn't be appropriately taken into consideration.

It's nice to hear that you like the (creepy <x'D) Wormadam and I feel heart-flattered about your words. Thank you! Your Blastoise is a favorite of mine too, it's not that just turtles are the most epic animals of this world. I'm a big turtle fan. ♥ Of course it wasn't an easy decision and in the end we all have our secret favorites. There are always dissatisfied people here. I just wanted to comment my opinion. No more, no less. C':
♫ Manipulate the pulse, the pattern, the rhythm ♫
♪ Dominate the beat ♪

♪ Manipulate the pulse, the pattern, the beat ♪
♫ Dominate the world ♫
LucianoRocha

Post by LucianoRocha »

nice promo, but only 1 winner? :shock:

Congratz for mauwie, !!
Collecting:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ryou_Kimura
Daisuki Bruno-Chan

Post by Ryou_Kimura »

Liffy, I liked the idea of the contest very much, too^^

I would have never expected to win myself, but I feel really sad for some other great artists which have done so well.

I'm happy for mauwie though.

But...I really hope at least the one I wish me for category 2 will win...

LucianoRocha, well, it was said that there would be only 1 winner per category.
It was, too, said, that there could be more if the staff likes more than 1 entry.
Ellie
HBIC

Post by Ellie »

the pokemon people chose to use wasn't a factor for me. several of the runner-ups that i was highly considering choosing were pokemon that were unpopular or ones that i personally don't really like. the fact that a popular pokemon won is a coincidence and nothing more. i didnt want to limit people's options by saying they had to make a promo of a pokemon that didn't already have a promo (because if you really look at all the promos we've had, that's a LOT of pokemon youd be cutting out), so i wouldn't have said no to an entry just because we already had that pokemon as a promo.

and once again as far as the unfinished thing, that isn't meant to apply to everyone, as i said. those were general trends i noticed in several entries and it's just easier to state them outright than get 50 pm's asking why specifically theirs wasn't chosen. many many entries were very good and there were several runners-up for both categories.

and that's extremely nitpicky over the word "should." i thought i made it abundantly clear both in my initial post and when other people contacted me that this is a contest for a new Virtuadopt so it should look as close to Virtuadopt style as possible. it would make no sense to have something that doesn't look anything like a Virtuadopt as a collectable on our website.

as for it looking too similar, i disagree. vuldoom is a completely different color and different concept. the poses are similar but not 100% the same, and there are only so many ways to draw a vulpix with all the detail of the tails and such still making it into the picture. that disclaimer was only there to prevent things that are pretty much clones of existing VAs. just because theyre both vulpix and posed similarly does not make them clones.

i'm not going to comment on any other specific entries. other people may have liked others and that's their opinion. but i feel i made the best decision and i'm sticking with it.

also for whoever asked about deviantart, yes, everyone except the winners can post their entries wherever theyd like now. the only reason for that rule was to make sure the winning art would stay VA exclusive, as well as to make it less ambiguous if someone was stealing ideas. since the winners have been chosen there is no need for that precaution anymore.
Spoiler:
Please click box 1 & sig!
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Trading Box 13 for Clefairy/Easter Exeggcute/Xmas Sudowoodo
Trade
Yarold's