Breeding in the Daycare

Your go to resource to learn how to play Virtuadopt

Moderator: KitsuLeif

SchokoKitsune

Breeding in the Daycare

Post by SchokoKitsune »

Hello everyone! This is basically an updated version of this guide, or to be more specific, the breeding parts of that guide.

If you want to breed for specific Pokémon or Baby Pokémon, you have to visit the Daycare. You can leave two Pokémon there, and if you put enough money into the deposit, these Pokémon might have the chance to produce an egg at each full hour. ($50 needed per hour with two adopts for the chance of an egg)

Not every Pokémon can produce Eggs with every other Pokémon. You can only breed regular adopts that could hatch out of the random Eggs you can adopt from Professor Birch. Neither Promos nor Legendaries can breed.

Spoiler for General Breeding Info:
Usually, you need a female and male of compatible Egg-Groups. To learn more about Egg-Groups, you can check a pokemon info website of your choice, for example Bulbapedia or Serebii.

In general, VA Breeding follows the videogame-canon, eg. if you breed a compatible male and female adopt, their eggs will be the species of the mother. If you breed with Ditto, the egg will always be the species you matched with Ditto.

Some Pokémon may only have females - in such cases, you can take a male of any compatible egg-group or Ditto to get an Egg! The female only Pokemon include the following, as well as their evolutions: Nidoran♀, Chansey, Kangashkan, Jynx, Miltank, Illumise

Male only Pokémon will need a Ditto as a breeding partner to yield Eggs of their species. The Hitmon-Line, Nidoran♂-Line, Tauros and Volbeat can produce same species-Eggs with Ditto.

Some Pokemon might need to hold an item to reproduce! Marill & Azumarill need to hold a Sea Incense and Wobbuffet a Lax Incense to be able to breed as of the Hoenn Update. They will give you their according Baby Pokémon-Eggs, and only one of the parents needs to hold the item. It doesn't matter if it's the male or female parent!

Currently, the following Pokémon can not breed at all, even though they can in the games: Alolan Sandshrew, Alolan Vulpix, and Shedinja.
Also, despite not being able to breed in the games, Nidorina and Nidoqueen can breed on Virtuadopt!
This might change in the future.

Breeding Compatibility
If you put two Pokémon into the Daycare, you will see one of the following messages below them:
  1. "The two get along great."
  2. "The two are getting along."
  3. "The two don't seem to like each other."
  4. "The two prefer to play with other Pokemon than each other."
  5. "The two are constantly fighting with each other."
1. This happens only for same species Adopts. Your chances to get an egg are the highest they can be!
2. This is the message for adopts out of the same egg-group. Your chances are good, but they could be better.
3. This means you are breeding with Ditto. You can get an egg, but the chances are rather low.
4. This text tells you that your adopts aren't compatible or not able to breed at all - there will be no egg.
5. This text should not be in the game yet, but if you see it, it has the same meaning as 4.

Note: Same species in this context means the same Pokémon, not the same Evolution-Line. If you breed Charmander with Charmander, you'll get the "Get along great" message - but if you breed Charmander with Charmeleon, they will only "get along"! If you evolve one of the potential parents and the message doesn't update, try taking them out of the daycare and re-entering them.

You might also have noticed the Progress-Bar in the Daycare! This will be very important if you want to get eggs faster.

As mentioned on the Daycare-Page, a full bar does not mean a guaranteed egg, but especially when breeding with Ditto, you will need that bar to be full. Each hour, the bar progresses automatically. Every 100 feeding-clicks on adopts, wether taken in the Click Exchange or manually in someones boxes, will also give you progress in the bar. The amount of progress depends on how well your Adopts get along.

1. 3 % per hour and per 100 interactions with Adopts
2. 2% per hour and per 100 interactions with Adopts
3. 1% per hour and per 100 interactions with Adopts
4. + 5. aren't able to breed, so the bar will not progress.

The bar will only update if you still have enough money in the Daycare!

Pokemon with Variants
You might have noticed how there's some Adopts with multiple variants and/or patterns on the site - like Kecleon, Smeargle, Spinda or Shellos. There's also Alolan Forms of some Pokemon (Sandshrew, Vulpix) and you might want to know if and how they can breed - I'll share my notes with you! :D
Spoiler:
  • Smeargle: Currently, only the green "original" color can breed.
  • Kecleon: Currently, only the green "original" color can breed.
  • Spinda: Currently, only the "original" Blush Variant can reproduce.
  • Shellos: Shellos is able to breed in both forms, and seems to give eggs according to the color of the Mother. If you put Pink x Pink in the Daycare, you'll get Pink, if you put Blue x Blue, you'll get Blue - no matter which color you're hatching from random eggs. If you want Pink Shellos, try to breed with a Pink Female, and if you want Blue Shellos, choose a Blue Female!
  • Alolan...: Currently, neither Alolan Vulpix nor Alolan Sandshrew can reproduce on Virtuadopt.
How to get...
Here's a quick list on how to best breed for specific currently available Baby Pokémon!
Spoiler:
  • Pichu: Female and Male Pikachu
  • Cleffa: Female and Male Clefairy
  • Igglybuff: Female and Male Jigglypuff
  • Tyrogue: Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee or Hitmontop with Ditto
  • Smoochum: Jynx and Any Male of the Human-Like Egg-Group (Abra, Machop, Drowzee, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Mr. Mime, Electabuzz, Magmar, Hitmontop or Evolutions)
  • Elekid: Female and Male Electabuzz
  • Magby: Female and Male Magmar
  • Azurill: Female and Male Marill, one needs to hold Sea Incense
  • Wynaut: Female and Male Wobbuffet, one needs to hold Lax Incense
  • Riolu: Female and Male Lucario
Of course, for anything but Tyrogue a Female Parent with a male partner of a compatible Egg-Group would work as well if you do not have a same species male at hand! Just try to avoid Ditto if you want eggs fast.
Can I breed...?
Are you simply wondering about the breeding-availability of specific Pokémon? Check this!
Spoiler:
  • Male only Pokemon? Currently, the Hitmon-Line, Nidoran♂-Line, Volbeat and Tauros can be bred with Ditto!
  • Pokémon with unknown Gender? Regular Pokémon with unknown gender like Staryu, Porygon, Magnemite, Voltorb, Lunatone, Solrock and Beldum can breed since the Update on 15th January 2023. Baltoy still needs to be tested. Shedinja is an exception as it can not breed on VA.
  • Alolan Sandshrew/Vulpix? At the time writing this guide, no Alolan Pokémon is able to be bred on Virtuadopt.
  • Promos? In general, Promo Adopts can not be bred. There might be event specific exceptions to this, as was the case on Halloween 2022 - but you did not breed with Promos back then, either.
  • Legendaries? No - the only Legendary that can be bred is Manaphy to get Phione, and neither of them are available right now.
  • Variants? As mentioned above, most Adopts with variants can not breed (yet) unless you use their specific "standard" color (the one shown in the Pokedex) - but both colors of Shellos can breed.
Current Breeding Promo:
There's a new Breeding Promo available until March 5, 11:59PM server time. [Thanks for the timers in your guide, Kitsu!]
Spoiler:
Just put a male and female Buizel into the Daycare, remember to put money as well, and wait for them to give you a very sweet egg containing Donut Buizel.
Hope this helps! ^w^

PS: With new regions and new breeding methods coming out, please feel free to share information you figured out that isn't in the guide yet, so it can be updated accordingly! owo
Last edited by SchokoKitsune on February 14th, 2024, 9:44 am, edited 25 times in total.
Amalia

Re: Breeding in the Daycare

Post by Amalia »

Thank you so much for this ♥
That really helps!
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable
♥ Avatar made by Akemie
Karena

Post by Karena »

Thank you for this great compilation.
This guide is so helpful.
Thank you very much for your work to list all this in such detail.
leech

Post by leech »

Thanks for the guide, great work! :)
My Shinies :)
Spoiler:
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Dawndancer

Post by Dawndancer »

thank you it helps
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
leech

Post by leech »

Hey hey, a question :)
Do you know if there is any way to breed Kecleon?
I think they camouflage so well that they fail to see each other :(
Thanks
Spoiler:
Dawndancer

Post by Dawndancer »

is it possible to breed Marill? all my Marills dont like each other and i need Azumarill :D
leech

Post by leech »

Dawndancer wrote: February 24th, 2023, 7:39 am is it possible to breed Marill? all my Marills dont like each other and i need Azumarill :D
Hey hey,
It's in the spoiler of the OP:

"Azurill: Female and Male Marill, one needs to hold Sea Incense" ;)
Spoiler:
Dawndancer

Post by Dawndancer »

leech wrote: February 24th, 2023, 10:54 am
Dawndancer wrote: February 24th, 2023, 7:39 am is it possible to breed Marill? all my Marills dont like each other and i need Azumarill :D
Hey hey,
It's in the spoiler of the OP:

"Azurill: Female and Male Marill, one needs to hold Sea Incense" ;)
thank you
Tarantinochu

Post by Tarantinochu »

Thanks for the great job done
Trafalgar-Tachibana

Post by Trafalgar-Tachibana »

Is there a special twist to breeding Smeargle? Maybe after the new update?
SchokoKitsune

Post by SchokoKitsune »

Oh, I wish I knew! If anyone finds out, I'll update the guide! I'm currently as clueless as everyone else - even left my purple Smeargle in the Daycare for a day cuz I didn't realize they won't breed x_x"
Akemie

Post by Akemie »

Afaik you can only breed the green/normal Smeargle. Not sure if breeding colored ones is fixed yet but they will breed green offsprings too. You can only get the colored ones from adopting random eggs >w<'
Adoptable Image Adoptable
ImageImageImage
pixels by King-Lulu-Deer (DA)
Temy

Post by Temy »

Whats about shiny hunting chains via daycare? Is there a higher chance to hatch a shiny when a special amount of eggs are hatched from the same pokemon? Or is it complete random? Sorry but i havend found anything about that in the forum ^^
SchokoKitsune

Post by SchokoKitsune »

As far as we know, there is no chaining.

So I'd assume the odds are technically the same as for random adopted eggs, but because you can control which adopt you are breeding, you are getting a bigger amount of eggs for that species and should theoretically be able to get a shiny of that specific mon more easily.

But in practice it could still happen that you breed over 300.. say, Eevee, but none of them ever is shiny while someone else managed to randomly hatch one in that same timeframe.
Temy

Post by Temy »

Oh okay ^^ then it is useless for this to wait for more daycare eggs when the needed pokemon hatched. To get random shinys from the adopted eggs is exiting too ^^
FeetFish

Post by FeetFish »

Why does my two Pokemon who were compatible when I put themin Daycare no longer getting along everytime I revisit or refresh the Daycare?
Tango

Post by Tango »

Is the daycare out of money?
Tango's Trade Station
═══════»«═══════
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable
═══════»«═══════