Updates, updates. || Looking for artists, now!

Every announcement regarding Virtuadopt main site, or forums will come here.
stefanol
soul supreme+

Updates, updates. || Looking for artists, now!

Post by stefanol »

Another small bit of updates today.

I have just added a new contest, starting series of weekly competitions. Make sure you check the "Official Contest" forums. The prize is promotional Mewtwo, so decide for yourself.

The suspicions of Professor Birch has become true - the bird trio (Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres) have flew away somewhere. You can no longer get them in Slot Machine by feeding. The only possibility to get them is by trade, from other users. That also means, that the chance to get the dog trio have been raised.

Moreover, something strange happened. The recent trend has shown, that the starter Pokémon can no longer be received from "Adopt" section. Right now, the only way to get them is to breed them, and possibly trade for different ones. Professor Birch contacted me, and said that he may also open soon "Starter Corner", where you would be able to get the starter of your preference - only one per account. You may then proceed to breed it, in order to trade it for other ones - but that is up to you.

EDIT2: It didn't take long for Professor Birch. He already set up the Starter Corner, to supply you with the unavailable starters. You may get one from each region per account. Multi-accounting is, as usually forbidden, I will track it down. Asking your friends to make an account, only to get the starter for you is forbidden as well. You may get them here: http://www.virtuadopt.com/starter.php

Functions update: You may now check the stats of other people (http://www.virtuadopt.com/profile.php?id=ID, where ID is ID of certain user. If you don't like being stalked, well, there is an option in Pokemon Center to hide it.

Your Pokedéx has been updated with the newest version of operating system, granting you a new function, "Collection" (http://www.virtuadopt.com/dex.php?mode=collection). You may see exactly how many of certain species you have, and which genders as well.

EDIT: A few words on controversy around redraws. As you may have noticed, some Virtuadopts got redrawn by our artist, Nautilus. Some of you liked it, some didn't - this is normal. In my opinion, you are used to old art, and the new one may look weird, especially if put it near the old-styled Virtuadopts - you will get used to it, eventually (or not ;)). Eventually, I plan to have all of them redrawn. It won't happen today, tomorrow, in few weeks - it will probably take much longer. I don't plan to get back to old art, once it gets redrawn, neither. Homever, to make the process go smoother, and easier for you, I have set up the Redraw Vote system. Up there, you may vote for any old-styled Virtuadopt, to get redrawn sooner. You have three votes, once something gets redrawn, you get them back, and the species get removed from the list. You may also change your vote anytime you want. The votes also don't guarantee, that something will get redraw ASAP - it's just a hint for Nautilus on what to do next. The URL is http://www.virtuadopt.com/image_vote.php

The batch operation function is nearly finished, so it should be added as well soon.

The artist applications are open as well again (I have some certain aims to achieve, and I believe one artist is not enough right now to complete them soon). If you are interested in working for our growing site, fill the form below, and send it to [email protected].

Code: Select all

Username: 
Reason on why would you like to work for us:
Additional profits:
You need to send specially drawn for that occasion image. It should be Pokemon related (in Virtuadopt form), but not necessarily. The big canvas is 230x230, the small one 100x100, PNG format, transparent background. Additionally, the other art you commited in the past is welcome as well, to have a general idea on your skills. Even if you applied in the past, you should do it now again. Don't insist on me to reply to your e-mails - I read them all, and when the decision will be made, I will contact you.
ImageAdoptable
Deep

Re: Updates, updates. || Looking for artists, now!

Post by Deep »

wow, thanks for the updates stef! :)
stefanol
soul supreme+

Post by stefanol »

Oh oh, I forgot about something. First post got updated with another function, and a few words about it.
ImageAdoptable
Tammi

Post by Tammi »

cool.
My Babys in my spoiler bag:
Spoiler:
AdoptableAdoptable
Spoiler:
My Legendary Fight Pokemon:Adoptable
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

great changes :) I really like all of them..
maybe I'll try and send some artworks the next days
Shahnaynay

Post by Shahnaynay »

Hmm, well, I don't like this really, the birds gone, and starters not coming out of regular Pokeballs(Who's idea was that?). And I see no reason why we can't keep old images, if Arkeis allows it. I prefer the old style.
Deep

Post by Deep »

Well, Some things(birds) needs to be kept a bit rare and its a good thing they are retired.
Nanashi

Post by Nanashi »

I would like to say something concerning the "looking for artists thing".

Please try to get some artists, that stleast use the same technique and style like Nautilus... nothing would look worse than a different technique and style every 2-3 images, just because the art alone looked fine..
It should really fit all together in the end ;__;
Click My Eggs or the mighty Cthulhu will eat chu <33

[ q u i t ]
[ c o l l e c t i n g : - ]
Kamui

Post by Kamui »

I like some of the chances...especially the redraw-voting part^^ but the thing with the birds and starter will make it very hard for new users to complete their dex...

Nanashi, nobody has the same style..everyone will do it his/her way...but maybe Nautilus will shade the Artworks so that the style is the same..lets see and wait who stef chooses to be artist...I already sent an e-mail^^
stefanol
soul supreme+

Post by stefanol »

Shahnaynay wrote:Hmm, well, I don't like this really, the birds gone, and starters not coming out of regular Pokeballs(Who's idea was that?). And I see no reason why we can't keep old images, if Arkeis allows it. I prefer the old style.
Is it really better, that there is nothing considered so so rare? Amount of promotional birds is huge, so for a promo, they have quite low worth. With them retiring right now, situation may change in few weeks/months. It is bound to happen with other promos as well - to keep their "promo" status.

In games, starters also didn't occur in wild, what made them unique - you had to trade, to get them all - and that is purpose of that change.

Aragornbird allowed to use his art. Homever, as I stated multiple times, it is not ours, which makes things uneasy. I feel much better with utilizing art created by staff members.

As for styles issue - that's one of prisms I will be looking through, when reading the applications. Homever, dex redraws aren't the only task I have - and for the other aims, the different style may be suitable as well. Maybe each region would have its own style?
but the thing with the birds and starter will make it very hard for new users to complete their dex...
More challenging, definitely. Hard? I don't think so. Right now, you could get bird trio with addons for sole Eevee (which also can be bred). Also remember, that bird trio are legends, and they are supposed to be hard to get.
ImageAdoptable
Nanashi

Post by Nanashi »

Kamui, Yeah, but I think it wouldnt make the page better, if your sigs & boxes look like patchwork, just because absolutely nothing fits together..

Than they should say Johto 1 style, kanto another, or something else, but if it ends up that in the end you only can put pokemon of the same artist in you sig, because otherwise it would look uhm.. ugly (?) it would be sad... than id prefer to wait longer for the artworts...

(I dont mean, that there shouldnt be any other artists, just that in the end the pokedex should look like a pokedex, not like a patchwork blanket...^^)

[ q u i t ]
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

Nanashi, but on the other hand, if everything has exactly the same style and you don't like that style you couldn't put ANYTHING in your sig..
I agree that the artworks shouldn't look too different, but I think it would be interesting to have artworks with slight different styles
Nanashi

Post by Nanashi »

Cyrrior, I think, as long as it looks good together that is fine (it will never fit all together perfectly, so..). I just think that atleast someone should consider this, while choosing the artist and maybe even the later artworks..

It just would be a bad thing, if noone at all would care for this and in the end, after all the work is done, it would look bad ^^

Pokemon look so different anyway, that small differences wont matter too much... but like with the pokemon card artworks some really just dont fit it, even if they look good...

[ q u i t ]
Salazar

Post by Salazar »

I've got a question to you stef:
If I chose a starter (once it is possible) of Johto or even Kanto, am I able to choose another once a new generation comes out or am I ... f*****
Last edited by Shadow on October 10th, 2009, 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Watch the language
ImageImageImageImage
stefanol
soul supreme+

Post by stefanol »

According to Professor Birch, he will try to distribute starters anew with every discovered region.
ImageAdoptable
Jabby

Post by Jabby »

Some of you are a bit freaked out for nothing I think. If Stef is sticking to what we spoke about in PM's and as far as I can tell it's looking that way... Then you will have no problem with your Dex looking 'smooth' The worst of this may be the -regions- looking different, but I don't think that will happen either.

Stef doesn't make/change things on a whim, *glares at her 50+ PM's about ideas*, he does think about them and figure out how they would be best implemented, the same goes for the artists.

I think the artists will be an amazing thing, not only for new users, but mainly for old users. Going off Stef's ideas, guys just calm down and let it play out, I honestly can't see you all disliking it. :)

Plus, you have to know he does listen to you all, *points to the vote*, clearly he wants to make you all happy. :) God only knows why.... :P

On another note, that collection page is the shizniz, wonder who gave that idea? :D

--Disclaimer: I just woke up, if I left something out don't shoot me.--
Thanks to JabbyX, Orina, Zetore, and Rosie for the amazing Signature.
Venomoth
Trusted Trader

Post by Venomoth »

Jabby wrote:Some of you are a bit freaked out for nothing I think. If Stef is sticking to what we spoke about in PM's and as far as I can tell it's looking that way... Then you will have no problem with your Dex looking 'smooth' The worst of this may be the -regions- looking different, but I don't think that will happen either.

Stef doesn't make/change things on a whim, *glares at her 50+ PM's about ideas*, he does think about them and figure out how they would be best implemented, the same goes for the artists.

I think the artists will be an amazing thing, not only for new users, but mainly for old users. Going off Stef's ideas, guys just calm down and let it play out, I honestly can't see you all disliking it. :)

Plus, you have to know he does listen to you all, *points to the vote*, clearly he wants to make you all happy. :) God only knows why.... :P

On another note, that collection page is the shizniz, wonder who gave that idea? :D

--Disclaimer: I just woke up, if I left something out don't shoot me.--
I couldn't have said it any better. ^_^
Adoptable
Nanashi

Post by Nanashi »

Uhm, concerning the vote link...

Could it maybe be put into some manigation too?

I think it will exist for a while and always having to look for this announcement to find it is a lil but... bothersome o.O

[ q u i t ]
Jabby

Post by Jabby »

Yeaaaa I bookmarked it personally :) who I voted for is losssiinnngggg :(
Thanks to JabbyX, Orina, Zetore, and Rosie for the amazing Signature.
drelyt

Post by drelyt »

Everything I voted for had zero votes before I voted :(
Adoptable Adoptable