The general problem

You have an idea for site or have a suggestion to make it better? Post here.
0R0ry

The general problem

Post by 0R0ry »

Let me start that I like this site, I started playing here a while ago (it was when the Storm Altaria were released, so August 2014), but I never got past the "newbie" part because there's not "flow" here, nothing to be active for. Here you can find some senior users that already colleced everything they could, own tons of shiny and only waits for the newest legendary/promo to be released.
I myself can't find something to trade with those users, becuse even when there's something new (ie Volcanion) it's still senior users (who in this case can buy THOUSANDS of tickets) who get it, so how is a new user able to just proceed in the game? Hoarding resources is slow becuse even if clicking an adopt gives you some money, it's still slow because the clicking itself is slow. Not to mention that a lot of users who owns older event Pokmon are inactive so it's nearly impossible to complete the special Pokédex as no one wants to trade old specials away, not even if they own 100+ and all you ask is one for the Pokédex (I have personal experience with this)
This method was find back some years ago, when everyone used forums (so they had signatures to put adopts to be clicked), but now nobody does, everyone only goes to social media like Facebook.
So my suggestion is to drastically improve the way to click, making it faster and with some short-time rewards.
On another similar website (which won't be mentioned unless I'm asked to because I don't want to span anything) I can click 2,000+ Pokémon in fifteen minutes. Here during that time I manage to click ~200 adopts though the click exchange. And since the money I get here and there is roughly the same, it's obvious that there I'm more rewarded than here for the same amount of time spent playing.
What I'm suggesting is a way to "massclick" other's eggs and adoptables through their boxes withou having to open every single one and click another link to interact, wait for the page to load, then close it. Maybe when one goes to a user's page there are two links, one that gives clickable eggs so one can check them one by one and another for feeding, so when one click on an egg it gets feeded/makes steps.
At the same time, find a way to not having to load the whole page when playing Click Exchange, and only load the central tab for faster clicking.

Added to this, I feel the Daycare is too slow. The part of having to put money on it slows it down a lot too. I just think that egg chances should be improved for the sake of shiny hunting, as relying on hatching randoms until you find a shiny to trade with the one you wants isn't really a think since the lack of users. In four years I only got ONE shiny
For the sake of pokédex completion, older promos and events should be able to breed, maybe with ditto with a lower chance of eggs, so even newer user can complete their Pokédex (they could borrow a special from another user, breed it until they get an egg and give the promo back) and even try for shiny. Mabe special bred that way will have a different mark so "original" specials still have more value for collections but don't hinder special dex completion?
I mean, I've been playing since 2014 and I only have a handful of earlier specials, thus making it nearly impossible for me to ever have a special dex completed. As I said, older user won't trade their specials with me as I don't have nor I am able to obtain something they might want. For instance, I've been looking for a Harvest Furret about since I joined, and to this day I wasn't able to get a single one (let alone a shiny).
I get that people who partitipated in events should be rewarded over those who didn't, but as it's now it's more like "if you weren't there since the start and stayed here the whole time you won't be able to find what you want".

(Other smaller suggetion of mine is the idea of adding Digimon to the site (as some already are there) and be the very first Pokémon/Digimon website-game, but that's for another time)

One now might look at my profile and say "yeah you didn't get much because you don't play", well, ask WHY I don't play that much. The answers is that this game as it is is boring. Cute and everything, but boring.
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableImage
Karasume

Re: The general problem

Post by Karasume »

A very well-articulated post, but (I'm sure I know what site you're comparing it too, because I've seen it pop up every now and then) there's a huge difference between the site you're comparing this to. I gave it a look not long ago, and the difference between both sites is that they're both just planned differently.

The other site is extremely p2w, and all systems on the site revolve around their currency somehow. You can only get their currency by clicking or by paying real cash. It's also RNG-hell, from what I could see. Not a site I could stick with, personally, as it's impossible to get anywhere without paying or playing too much.

VA doesn't have that sort of build. Nothing's really built around anything. The currency can't even be transferred. As a result, people just hoard. It's a hoarding site, through and through.

I agree that clicking is slow comparatively. It would be nice if the click exchange were faster, maybe even with buttons in the same place, but that would likely mean rewriting how the CE works at its core.

Massclicking is also a good idea. Currently, clicking peoples' boxes is slow and clunky.

I do not agree that we need more eggs from the Daycare. You say that you don't have anything valuable to trade older players, but shinies are just about the only obtainable thing that is valuable anymore. Increase the amount of eggs obtained and the amount of shinies increase as well. Then, what do you have to trade? I'm not a fan of any idea that messes with shinies, since they're just about the only valuable thing left on VA.

I like the idea that older promos and events can be bred. I don't really see much of a reason why they can't, aside from maintaining their rarity, but this site's economy is all over the place when it comes to anything that isn't a shiny, so it's not that big of a deal. There could be a feature where they can only be bred on certain days. Maybe VA holidays could be a thing. I don't know.
0R0ry wrote: January 26th, 2019, 11:55 am(Other smaller suggetion of mine is the idea of adding Digimon to the site (as some already are there) and be the very first Pokémon/Digimon website-game, but that's for another time)
Someone make this man/woman president of the world.
Looking to trade pokemon or net yourself some easy CE credits? Then check out my Trade thread!

There are a lot of shinies which look very similar to their normal counterparts. Arm yourself with knowledge!

AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Tango

Post by Tango »

I was actually thinking something adjacent to this last night when pondering some lotto ideas.

There really is very little to draw in new players cause everything is geared toward older players. It makes it very hard to attract anyone new and have them stick around. I've tried. I've been as friendly as I can through PMs and the forum, even make an effort to try and click their boxes every day and give tips. But how many newish players other than myself have actually stuck around with any consistent activity?

2 in two years. And neither of them haven't logged in in a while.

It's tough cause obviously there needs to be a balance so that those with a mountain of resources don't get things to easily without totally putting newer players (or those that can't sit on here hours each day) at a disadvantage. Karasume's right in saying the only thing with trade value here is shinies, and those are harder to obtain for newer players so right off the bat there's this huge barrier. I don't have a suggestion to help with this as most places that implement some sort of new player protection/bonus I don't really like, but it is certainly a problem for the longevity of the forum if you can't attract and keep fresh players. The community is wonderful but the game is lacking in that sense.

Something to consider is maybe a game corner game, like matching/hangman/puzzle/etc, equivalent of Kanto's giveaway thread.

When I started up I was lucky enough to find members like Hiji who trade collects for old legendaries. That's the main reason I was able to get most of my dexes complete. It's my main goal here, to complete all the dexes, and without that I don't think I would have stuck around to today as there'd be basically no hope of obtaining them. Even now I'm not even sure there's a hope for getting the legendary birds without a release. The only time I see them on GTS is the shinies and the owner just wants to exchange it for a different shiny bird. Makes it pretty impossible for someone who doesn't already have one to get one.

Anyways, the mass clicking of a box would be pretty great. Most days I only have ~15 minutes to spend here and it's spent trying to rapidly get through my daily clicklist. Leaves little time for anything else on the forums or trades etc.

Personally not really on board with being able to breed promos/monthlies. Maybe if it was very restricted. Like, you can breed more cookie mantyke but only during the month it was originally released and under the same rules. Or something like that. Even then not sure if fan ^^; But it would probably be great for collectors.

The daycare already got a speed increase and it's been pretty good. Seems to have sacrificed the decent odds of getting multiple eggs in a day, but overall I don't have to wait a week for 1 egg so that's nice.

But the digimon mix? <3
Super on board with that.
Tango's Trade Station
═══════»«═══════
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable
═══════»«═══════
FairyPrincessCynthia

Post by FairyPrincessCynthia »

OP, most of what you've presented is a collection of things I've thought about and/or mentioned over the years.

Except for one thing. One little thing that I didn't know I wanted until you mentioned it, and now I want it a lot: the ability to give attention to an entire box in a single click. The way I breed Sylveons, I can never earn money fast enough. Especially not with my admin work on the Discord channel I work at (which I won't name because advertising is bad). Regardless, it's a busy one and it keeps me busy as well. If push comes to shove, other things are simply going to get prioritized over multiple hours of clicking per day.

I think I know what click site you're talking about though, given the way you're suggesting those types of improvements here. User retention is pretty high over there, so you've made a strong point. Several strong points... that should be taken with serious consideration.

Also, I don't care for Digimon at all. A childhood bully made sure of that. But I've got a certain friend on this site who would probably explode with glee if more Digimon were to be added. So... eh, why not? The site has already got 3 of them in the database.
Spoiler for more adopts inside:
AdoptableAdoptable AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Praise be to fairy types.
KiraNear
Man of Mayhem

Post by KiraNear »

I think I know which side you're talking about and I would love such a mass clicking box thing here sooo much. Clicking here takes so much time, normal clicking and the CE and I can't or don't want to take the time for clicking, because it is so long.
AdoptableImage
Avatar made by smilesupsidedown.
Picture in my signature made by Cyrrior.